This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Others can't open my Fritzing files

skootles 5 years, 6 months ago

I've had a couple people now complain that they can't open my Fritzing files on my project page. One error message was apparently:

"Error Message: Unable to open 'C:\Users\ADK\Downloads\Arduino_ISP_Shield_v2.5c.fzz'"

The files were created using the latest version of Fritzing, on OS X 10.8.2. I don't know if this is an operating system thing, but I opened the files just fine on another machine running OS X 10.7 earlier. I don't have any Windows computers to test on.

The files in question are on my Fritzing project page here:

http://fritzing.org/projects/arduinoisp-deluxe-shield/

Jonathan Cohen 5 years, 6 months ago

Hi Skootles,

Sorry for the belated response. I confirm a problem loading all 4 files, and will get back to you after I do some investigation. 

- j

Hi Skootles,

The problem revolves around the custom ZIF part. If you happen to load the 2.0 fzz first, it works perfectly. If you load one of the other files first, where the ZIF part is broken for different reasons, then the 2.0 file won't load either--because the broken ZIF part is already in memory.

The .fzpz and 2.5 file are broken for the same reason, which is that there is a line-feed character in the filenames for the custom ZIF part for the breadboard and schematic view svgs--so at least under Windows (which does not allow a linefeed character in a filename) these files fail when they are extracted from the zip archive (fzz files are just zip files).

Note that fzz files automatically include custom parts, so there is no need to separately export custom parts when you are sharing files.

The 1.0 file is missing the pcb svg for the custom ZIF part. This is a disturbing bug. Can you remember any details about how the file was saved, or how the custom part was created? I am trying to figure out why that file is missing in the 1.0 case, but is present in the other three files.

Thanks.

- j

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for the reply. The custom ZIF socket was originally made by hand in Adobe Illustrator. This was before the redesigned parts editor was released. After the parts editor was redesigned, I updated the part again for v2.5. I may just need to re-make the part. I know that when I open Fritzing I get an error popping up (can't recall what the error is at the moment, I'm not on my personal laptop). I've ignored it until now because everything worked regardless, but I'll probably have to go back and recreate the part. Not too big of a deal.

Hi Skootles, 

Thanks for your patience. 

Cheers,

- j

Hey Jonathan,

I went ahead and re-made the part. Would you be able to check the latest version (2.5e) on my projects page to see if it opens properly in Windows?

http://fritzing.org/media/fritzing-repo/projects/a/arduinoisp-deluxe-shield/fritzing/Arduino_ISP_Shield_v2.5e.fzz

Hi Skootles,

It's working fine.

Cheers,

- j