electronics made easy
This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.
When I edit an existing part using the new parts editor, load all my images, set my pin, then select Save as New part from the file menu, it works and the part show up in the bin and the meta is correct. But when I go to my parts library in my user folder, the new part file added use the original part name as part of the filename, which is confusing. I also notice that if you edit the part multiple times, all the part pieces (bb, schm, pcb, inc) all get created as new files with the same original part name plus a GUID in the filename. THis is messy and confusing.
I figured out that i can go into my_parts.fzb and rename all the parts, then rename all the file in the corresponding directories and remove any file not referenced to keep the folders clean.
It would be nice if Fritzing handled this properly in future versions.
SIDE note: when creating new parts, I really wish you had decided on a pin ID format of connectorpinXX instead of connectorXXpin, as it would greatly speed up creation of new parts.
I am using Fritzing 0.7.12
on windows 7 64bit
I am not sure what the alternative is to automatic naming--what are you suggesting?
It is also not clear to me in what context connectorpinXX is faster than connectorXXpin.
I understand the use of GUID auto-naming, but the file name prefix should not use the name of the original part... it just confusing. It should use the first 8 characters of the Meta-Data title or add a file name Prefix file to meta data, or when selecting Save as New Part, prompt for a fileName prefix.
Context of "connectorXXpin" Fair question. As a programmer, I try to keep my hand on the keyboard and use the mouse a little as possible because I can work faster. I take the time to learn the keyboard short-cuts of any program I use alot. So in InKScape, I use Shift-Ctrl-O to open the object properties editor where I can change/set the ID. I type in "connector1pin" then hold shift and hit Home, the ctrl-C to copy it, this click (yes the mouse) on the next object (leaving the property window open), then I need to arrow left or right (or use the mouse) to move the caret to the pin number, delete it and enter the next pin number. If the number was at the end, it would simply be paste in "connectorpin" then enter the number and your done.
It's just faster for a pure use-input stand point. Labeling/IDing even 8 pins is a pain. If InkScape would allow me to enter "connector_XX_pin" for every pin object, then I could use a find and replace macro to replace _XX_ for sequencial pin numbers in an external editor. But InkScape complains about duplicate IDs.
However, I spent a lot of time working with the Fritzing PCB editor last night, and I must say the above connectorPin issue is not as pressing as the need to be able to align object and Nets. Fritzing seems to only snap to grid or not snap to grid, and if you make the grid size real small, you might as well turn snap to grid off.
So I tried some modifier keys, like shift and control. I notice that shift (i believe) will allow me to click-drag a net to 45 degree, but not a small distances, only a large distances, like over and inch away from the link object. It also tends to snap straight, when I want a 45. With or without snap to grid I find it hard to get nets to align in a clean way.
Basically, I find the Fritzing Nets/Wire editing to be VERY GOOD for a beta product, and great for the breadboard view; but needs more refined control for the PCB view, as that is what get sent to production.
Thanks for listening. :o)
The suggestion that the user sets the prefix at "Save as new part" is a good one.
It is very unlikely we will change connectorXXpin at this point. However, in Inkscape, you could use the xml editor to add any attribute/value pair, so as long as you don't use "id", Inkscape won't complain. For example, I added test='hello' to each of a set of rectangles (and furthermore, if I duplicated the rectangles, test="hello" got duplicated as well). So then you could write a little script that removed the id="" that Inscape automatically adds to each element, and then replace test="hello" with id="connectorXXpin" assuming you have the pin elements in the correct order.
This may be more work than you want to do, but if you could save a sketch file with some examples of un-aligned nets that you are finding difficult to align, than I can get a better handle on the problem. You could email sketch and maybe a little explanation of what the intended alignment should be (or a before and after sketch) to info .at. fritzing .dot. org.