This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Autorouter crash

sgofferj 5 years, 5 months ago

Hi,

I'm working on a rather simple Arduino shield and Fritzing crashes pretty easily when autorouting. Usually, it's enough to change the last wire to "do not autoroute" to prevent the crashing but those are getting more and more and that kinda defies the purpose of an autorouter.

This is the current file: http://home.gofferje.net/fritzing/groundstation_shield.fzz

Check the wire top right from the PRINT connector to +5V. If I set this to autoroute, the autorouter crashes. Also the wire which goes from the solderpads BAUD0-2 to +5V in the big connector to the right. If I connect this to +5V in the bottom row instead, also the autorouter crashes.

I'm on OpenSuse Linux 12.1, Fritzing 0.7.12

-Stefan

Jonathan Cohen 5 years, 5 months ago

Hi Stefan,

Sorry for the crash, and I can reproduce it here. It takes place after the routing is done, when the actual traces are being created, but I don't yet understand the cause. I will get back to you after some further investigation.

- j

Hi Stefan,

I can see what's causing the crash, and I am surprised we haven't already had a bug report about it. It has to do with routing a trace from a connector on copper0 to a connector on copper1. In groundstation_shield.fzz, the autorouter is routing from +5V on the Mega to BAUD3, and it sometimes tries run the trace along the bottom layer without a via to attach to BAUD3--and this eventually causes the crash. 

The workaround would be to add a bendpoint on the trace that already exists, somewhere near BAUD3. Then with a right-click, turn that bendpoint into a via. 

Hope that will keep you moving forward.

- j

Hei,

thanks for the info! I'll try the workaround. I guess, the problem is gonna be fixed in one of the coming versions then? :)

-S

I'm getting further...:

But I got some interesting comments on DIY Drones...:

Comment by Javio 1 minute ago Delete Comment

Some PCB layout tracing tips:
-Avoid 90º angles, configure your PCB design software to make 45º corners.
-Check the pad to track. Connect always the same way. Don´t do strange angle connects.
-Put some order in your drawing, keep some clearance between tracks and pads if possible.
-Consider the use of ground planes (no track without a matching ground plane!!!).

How would I configure the autorouter to do that? THe PCB DOES look a bit weird... ^^

Hi Stefan,

Yes, it will be fixed in the next release. 

Ground plane options are under "ground fill" under the Routing menu. 

For the other suggestions, my advice would be to start with the autorouter, then neaten the traces by hand (click and drag on traces to make bendpoints, use the shift key for alignment, etc).

- j