This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Can't export as PNG and JPG // Ground Fill doesn't work

derhorst 5 years, 7 months ago

Hey guys,

I got two problems with Fritzing.

The first one is: I can't export the project I'm working on to PNG/JPG. It worked all the time but since the project got bigger, the export function isn't working anymore. When I try it, it says "Der Entwurf /Desktop/xxxxx.png konnte nicht gespeichert werden" ("The Design /Desktop/xxxxx.png couldn't be stored")

The PCB is 220 x 60 mm and pretty much stuffed with parts and wires. Is there a limit to complexity when exporting the file?

The second one is: I also can't do a ground fill anymore. Ground is connected to that GND Symbol in Schematic view, but Fritzing doesn't recognize that. If I open the "Choose Ground Fill Seed(s)" option, the list is empty.

Can you help me?

Greetings

Malte

Jonathan Cohen 5 years, 7 months ago

Hi Malte,

There is no hard limit to complexity. Please send your .fzz file to info .at. fritzing .dot. org. Also let us know what platform you are on and what version of Fritzing you are using. Please also point to this thread in your email, so we are reminded of which post the email refers to.

Cheers,

- j

Jonathan Cohen 5 years, 7 months ago

Hi Malte,

If you open your file and switch to pcb view, you might notice that the scrollable area is very large--much larger than the size of the board. This whole view is simply too big for the export to jpg or png (it will export to svg). However, if you scroll the view all the way down and to the right you will find an old copper fill that somehow got moved down to that corner. Delete that old copper fill, and save your file. The next time you reopen the file, the size of PCB view will be greatly reduced, and export to jpg or png will work.

As to the ground fill, I think Fritzing is ignoring the Ground part from Schematic view, since it is not visible in PCB view--but I would agree this is a bug. Nevertheless, you have an easy workaround which is to right click one of the connectors in PCB view you know to be grounded and choose "set ground fill seed" from the popup.

- j

derhorst 5 years, 7 months ago

Hey Jonathan,

thank you very much!

Now it all works out.

Malte