This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

How do I use the generic parts

bill2009 9 years, 9 months ago

I understand there are new resistor and dip parts that I can customize on the fly(pins, resistance value) - how do I get them and use them?

Jonathan Cohen 9 years, 9 months ago

Hi Bill.

They're in the parts bin.  The resistor looks like a resistor--it's the first part (top left) in the parts bin.  Drag it on to your sketch.  Click it to make sure it's selected.  Then look at the inspector (it's a dock widget at the right).  You'll see a combo box in which you can type in or select a new resistance value.  

The IC is closer to the bottom of the parts bin.  It looks like a black rectangle with "IC" written on it.  Drag it into your sketch.  Click to make sure it's selected.  Then in the inspector you can change the footprint and the number of pins using popup menus.

- j

Thanks for replying. 

The top left item in my parts palette says it's a 220 ohm resistor. I can drag it and select it but I don't see the combo box.   Similarly for the IC part.

I do see lots of parts that weren't there before upgrade(0.3.12b) so I've got the new code - right?  I must be doing something wrong but what?

Jonathan Cohen 9 years, 9 months ago

Do you see the inspector dock window?  If not, go to the window menu and make sure that the inspector window is visible.  Normally it comes attached to the right side of the sketch area, but it can also be dragged out as a standalone window.

Once the inspector is visible, then select the resistor that is in the sketch (not the one in the parts bin).  In the inspector window you should now see a title area (it will probably say "R1"), then beneath that, three icons representing the three views of the resistor (breadboard, schematic, and pcb view).  Below that you will see "family: resistor" and below that you will see 220 ohms and you can type in or select different values there.  You may need to scroll the inspector window horizontally to see the whole widget.  

If you are not seeing this in the inspector window, then take a screen shot of the whole fritzing app, and email it to info (at) fritzing (dot) org.

- j

André Knörig 9 years, 9 months ago

André Knörig

Hi Bill,
another issue that I saw recently is that the "properties" section in the inspector is sometimes collapsed. If that's the case, you need to click on the little "+" sign at the right of properties to expand it. Hope that helps!

ok!  a bit of scrolling around and it showed up as advertised. 

Great software, thanks again.