This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Fritzing Fab? Still being developed?

Aaron Buckner 9 years, 5 months ago

We haven't seen an update on the fab service in a while. I've been EAGERLY waiting for a few months now, Fritzing is so much easier to work with over eagle (I've tried a few times and can't seem to understand it) but I've got a couple of designs in Fritzing I would really like to get made for some projects around the house possibly more... Any ideas on when its going to start

Jonathan Cohen 9 years, 4 months ago

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for asking.  The Fritzing fab idea is still alive and well, but I can't yet give you a date for a rollout.  We're a bit shorthanded at present.

Cheers,

- j

havoc86 8 years, 9 months ago

Hi guys,

i recently have seen that the fab service going online in december.

Is that true an a reliable information?

Is there a date for the exact moment of start?

Cheers,

me.

André Knörig 8 years, 9 months ago

André Knörig

Hi havoc86,

Thanks for cheering us up. The good news is yes, we're still working on it - but very unlikely will it be launched before next year. ;(
We got distracted by other projects and underestimated the amount of work it takes to set this up properly.

We will post more information as soon as we have something definite to say about dates, pricing, etc.

Best,
andré>

havoc86 8 years, 6 months ago

Hi guys,

is there a update avaible on the fab service?

Cheers,

Heiko.

unknowndomain 8 years, 6 months ago

Ditto because looking for a fab service is such a pain because none of them think of people who have never used their service before.

André Knörig 8 years, 6 months ago

André Knörig

Worry not, guys, it's gonna happen!

We will post an update soon. Promised. Seriously.

havoc86 8 years, 2 months ago

Hi,

what's about the update on the fab service?

Is there some progress?

Cheers,

Heiko.

André Knörig 8 years, 2 months ago

André Knörig

Hi Heiko, yes there is - we will launch next week!

Hippogriff 8 years, 2 months ago

Hello,

I downloaded Fritzing yesterday and worked one of my simple schematics into the program. I was very pleased with it. I've always used Veroboard to 'complete' my circuits, but Fritzing's PCB view really gave me the impetus to work on it and I've produced something that is much smaller and neater than what I would produce on Veroboard - plus it would save me on soldering a lot of wires.

This is my first ever PCB design, so I am very wary of checking all is correct etc..

Today I have been searching for ways of getting a small run of my 61.1mm by 52.4mm PCB created and I have been struggling. A Fritzing PCB fabrication service would be something I would be really interested in.

The last update above implies it is almost ready to go-live. If that is the case, then I think I will stop my research for the time being and wait until I hear more on this.

Please advise if I should wait (a few days? a week?) or continue my research. BTW, for 10 of these rather small, uncomplicated PCBs, the price is around £100, which I was disappointed by. I realise most of the cost is in the setup and - if I ask for 20 (instead of 10) the price remains very close to £100, but what I would really appreciate advice on is how to get reasonable cost short run PCBs. I'd also really appreciate any personal feedback on PCB manufacturers used, whether in Europe or in the UK - a personal recommendation is worth its weight in gold.

Hippo

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 2 months ago

Hi Hippogriff,

The latest update is that Fritzing Fab is close--a few days away.  I don't have the details on pricing.  

- j

Hippogriff 8 years, 2 months ago

OK, well, as I didn't have the patience to wait, I sent my first ever order to pcb-pool.com. Fingers-crossed that it works out OK. At least they took my Fritzing file as-is, which is good. However, we are all eagerly waiting for this Fritzing fab. to get up-and-running.

Hippo

Thomas O'Brien 8 years, 1 month ago

Is there a step by step procedure for transmitting to a fab? That would help while we wait for the fritzing fab.

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 1 month ago

Hi Thomas,

It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem, as the best tutorial comes with Fritzing Fab.  Stay tuned...

Cheers,

- j

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 1 month ago

At last!  Have a look at http://fab.fritzing.org.

Cheers,

- j