This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Too slow.

ticking 8 years, 7 months ago

I know that you know about the performance ^^ 

I love Fritzing but sometime I want to whip it.

I am currently working on a 40 parts project, and Fritzing is getting unbelievably slow, it's not that my machine was not capable, it's a 2.5ghz C2Duo  with 4 Gb Ram Macbook Pro.

I think performance should be top priority at the moment, who needs new features if you can't use the old ones without 30 seconds waiting on each action :).

So why is that?

•Even moving the view takes forever, this shouldn't happen if the view itself is cached, at the moment it looks like its drawn again once you scroll around. So caching would be good.

•Most of the logic is in the view-model-controler hybrids, so changing one piece results in intensive drawing routines? Seperation in Model, View and Controller would allow a hirachical setup. On the lowest level a parts model that contains connection information, and on top of that the routing models for the different aspects (breadboard, shematic, pcb). So maybee rethinking the model-hybrid system with it's lazy(in the sense of lazy evaluation) synchronisation model?

• SVG seems to be the primary intermediate format for rendering. Is the QTSVG Renderer really made for constant updating? <- this may be the main problem.

I would really love to help out with this, although my c++ skills are limited... that's why I haven't tackled the performance stuff yet, I come from the ObjC world.

Fritzing is such an awesome app, it really deserves speed^^

Have a nice day, Jan.

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 7 months ago

The main speed issues are ratsnest updating and routing/connection status--we're working on that now.  Redraw and cross-view syncronization are relatively minor compared to those.  If you're working in pcb view, then for temporary relief, try the 'speed hack' option under the trace menu.

Cheers,

- j

ticking 8 years, 7 months ago

I work in the schematics mode but even with rats nest turned off it's still laggy.

Why is there so much overhead with the connection status^^, if there were a model view seperation, it would simply mean add a connection entry to the connection list containing both nodes. Then when switching to another view that one would show the connection to be done with a trace. It realy reads from the dev nodes as if everything was done in view elements, wich are naturaly slow.

Greets Jan

CullenNewsom 8 years, 6 months ago

I can confirm that Fritzing is too slow (on Linux). Even merely dragging a breadboard in takes too long. If a second breadboard is added it becomes absolutely unusable (more than one minute to position the breadboards side by side). I have had to use only the Windows version of Fritzing in my courses. The Windows version does not suffer from this performance problem. Also, I don't remember this (slowness in Linux) being the case last semester when I tested Fritzing for use in our labs.

Our machines are dual-boot Windows/Ubuntu machines 4-Core Intel with 2GB RAM. Not the best, but should be adequate. And, as I said, running Fritzing under Windows does not exhibit the slowness as under Linux

-Cullen

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 6 months ago

Hi Cullen,

If I understand you correctly, the problem you describe is very different from the problem that Ticking describes in his post.  In his case, he's working with a sketch containing 40 parts.  But as I read it, you are trying to drag out one or two breadboards onto an empty sketch. 

I am just now running Fritzing 0.4.2 under Ubuntu 10.04 on a dual boot mac pro laptop (Intel, 2.5 gHz, 3GB RAM).  I currently have three breadboards side-by-side, and while there is a delay of a few seconds when I drag a new breadboard from the parts bin before it catches up with my cursor, I have no other noticeable delays when dragging them around and one other short delay (~2 seconds) just after a drop.   Looking at the System Monitor, if I drag all 4 at once, the two core intel CPUs each hit 50 to 60 % usage, but the dragging lag is hardly noticeable, and memory usage stays flat at around 10%.  Do you think the difference between your PC's 2gHz and the Mac's 2.5 gHz is significant? 

I also have been testing Linux releases using VirtualBox on the same mac, and while performance is a little slower than when running on the booted version (and virtual box linux indicates is that its RAM is .5GB), I don't see anything approaching the problems you describe.

My guess is that other Linux users would also have complained about this by now, so I conclude that this is not a general Fritzing/Linux issue, but rather something specific about Fritzing and your configuration.   However, I am not enough of a Linux expert to help you further disentangle this.   Are you running any other intensive applications under Linux, and are they performing ok?

Does anyone else out there have any suggestions?

Cheers,

- j 

j,

Wow, thanks for such a quick reply. I played around some more and notice that I left out a detail. Rotating a BB 90 degrees makes the situation much worse (maybe this can lead us to the source). Still though, As I said under Windows, we do not experience this problem (running on the same hardware.) As for other details of our systems, they are not running any other applications other than a web browser, or pdf viewer & I can confirm that this occurs independent of whether the web browser is even running at all.

I certainly hope that yourself or someone has some other ideas or we will be stuck in Windows-only.

Should I file this under a new post since it is indeed not exactly the same problem as Jan is addressing?

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 6 months ago

Hi Cullen,

My question was less about other applications taking up CPU while Fritzing was running--though it was good that you eliminated that possibility--than it was about whether you had tried running some other compute/graphics intensive application on your Linux platform to see whether it performed as expected.  

Taking a wild guess based on your latest post, I wonder if there's a graphics card driver issue.

No need to refile.  I was just confused by the word "confirm" in your first post, since the two phenomena are different.  "Too slow" still works as a category.

- j

Jonathan,

Sorry for the confusion. Confirm was probably not the best choice of words. So, I am at home now, running an older version of Fritzing on my old laptop (2GHz Core2 Duo w/ Nvidia). It runs much better here. I will check tomorrow what video hardware the lab machines have. I suspect it is cheap, onboard Intel. After that I guess search for problems with [Intel?] video drivers? Can someone suggest a definitive test?

Cheers, Cullen