This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

remove copper fill crashes fritzing

mtbf0 8 years, 5 months ago

first of all, thanks for the 2010.09.30 release.

alas i saved a sketch with a copper fill and, now, when i try to remove the fill fritzing crashes.  i've always been able to back the fill out when i haven't exitted fritzing since creating the fill but now i'm stuck.

guess i'm also curious about the drc.  i run it and i see bits of my board blinking in and out but never see any results.  so far i'm taking the optimistic view that this means there's nothing wrong with my layout.

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 5 months ago

Hi Mtbf0,

I can confirm the crash with copper fill, and it does seem to require save/load/delete steps to make it happen.  Stay tuned while I try to figure out the problem.  You can also email the sketch file--I can probably remove the copper fill by editing the xml.

DRC right now only checks whether traces and/or connectors are too close together, and the UI is only rudimentary.  To see what it looks like when it works, open the Blink example, and in PCB view drag the LED part so that the cathode pin is just beneath the aref pin on the arduino.  After DRC finishes, you will see both the LED part and the arduino part are selected, a hint that those parts have a problem.  Then you can try moving the LED around a little bit to see what conditions trigger the DRC selection.  

So if you're running DRC on your own sketch and any parts are selected, then that tells you that some connector or trace on that part is too close.  If nothing is selected, then none of your traces or connectors are too close together.

Cheers,

- j

PS. Some time back you sent me a file because there was an issue with gerbview and silkscreen.  I did finally get around to checking that file just recently, but as far as I could tell, there was only silkscreen on one side, and that was showing up in gerbview.  Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, but if there's still an issue open, please let me know.

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 5 months ago

Hi Mtbf0,

I've fixed the bug in the source, so if you are building Fritzing yourself, you can update from SVN.  If not, email your file to info at fritzing dot org, and I can load it into Fritzing, delete the copper fill, and send it back to you.  (If you're using custom parts, I think you could either drop those into an empty sketch and save that as shareable, and email that, or export the parts to individual fzz files, and email those.  That way, when I open your sketch with the copper fill, it will find the custom parts--otherwise I'm not sure they'll be saved correctly when I save out the copper fill file again.)

Cheers,

- j

mtbf0 8 years, 5 months ago

jonathan,

fixed it already?  you're awesome.  so awesome, in fact, that i was inspired to open the sketch in vim and get rid of the copper fill myself.  now i feel just a little awesome, too.  not a bad feeling.

as far as the silk screen thing, there just doesn't seem to be enough data in the top silkscreen layer and gerbview starts spitting out a bunch of error messages when i tried to load it.  i copied the board outline from the contour file to make sure there was enough data when i sent in my boards.

the drc has me a tad worried, though some of the part outlines may be a tad generous.

thanks for your attention.