This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

create "pins" for a cartridge in my pcb design

needle 8 years, 7 months ago

i'm tryin to create a PCB

it only holds an 27c322 eprom and 2 capacitors 

so i thought this would be very easy..

turns out i'm busy for three hours tryin to find a a way to create the pins....

with pins i mean the part of the PCB that go into the cartridge slot.

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 7 months ago

Hi Needle,

If I understand you correctly, you're trying to place some copper strips along the board where it will fit into a slot.   Sorry, but I don't think there's a straightforward answer, and you will have to improvise.  

Depending on what's acceptable (and whether my guess about what you need is correct), I could suggest a couple of approaches.  One idea would be to drag out a couple of Vias to mark the opposite ends of each strip, change the size of the via's hole and ring using the widgets in the inspector, then draw a trace between (you can also make the trace thinner or thicker by selecting it and selecting from the "width" widget in the inspector).

Another option would be to create a custom part using the parts editor.  Start out by editing a mystery part (the one with the question mark on the icon), and for the pcb view image,  maybe you can find a useful svg in the parts/svg/contrib/pcb folder that you'll find in the folder where you installed Fritzing.

Hope that helps.

- j

needle 8 years, 7 months ago

thanx for the reply :-)

you're correct:

quote:

trying to place some copper strips along the board where it will fit into a slot. 

i'm going to try and make a custom part, thank you for your help.

Eight 6 years, 11 months ago

I know this is an old thread, but is there a better way of doing this yet? Maybe we could have the option along the lines of importing an image/shape but instead of appearing on the silkscreen, it could go onto the copper layers?

Sorry, just realised you can already set an image to be on a copper layer - anyone know if that could be used to create a card edge or would you maybe have to find a way to trim the silkscreen also?

Jeez I'm stupid tonight - sorry for the spamming the board. I didn't mean silkscreen - I just meant that if I put an image on the copper layer, will anything be over the top of that preventing the shape from being used as a conductor or in this case, an edge connector?

Jonathan Cohen 6 years, 11 months ago

Hi Eight,

If you use a copper image, Fritzing won't let you draw a trace to it, since it doesn't count as a connector. But if your edge connector is a series of rectangles, then consider using the Pad part, which is a resizeable rectangle that includes a connector, so you can draw traces to it. You could start with a single pad part, get the size and position right, then make copies and offset them. You could also do both, make a copper image, and then overlay it with pad parts.

HTH,

- j

Aaah - that sounds just the job. Thanks Jonathan - I'll give that a whirl. I was scared I'd have to try and learn a different software package for this project... which I really don't want to - I love Fritzing. :-)

Jonathan Cohen 6 years, 11 months ago

PS. As of version 0.7.5 (just released) you can put pads on either copper1 or copper0.

Leif Bloomquist 4 years, 4 months ago

Leif Bloomquist

Any luck with this?  I'd love to have something like this as well, and not have to reinvent it.

lissacoffey 4 years, 4 months ago

If you use a copper image, Fritzing won't let you draw a trace to it, since it doesn't count as a connector. But if your edge connector is a series of rectangles, then consider using the Pad part, which is a resizeable rectangle that includes a connector, so you can draw traces to it. You could start with a single pad part, get the size and position right, then make copies and offset them. You could also do both, make a copper image, and then overlay it with pad parts.