This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Crashing on XP

Don Roberts 10 years, 2 months ago

Hi;

I'm running 0.2.2 (2009-3-4) on Windoze XP Pro, and I'm getting fairly frequent crashes while playing with the autorouter. Fritzing just dissappears, no error messages that I can see. Is there any way I can capture some information that may provide at least a clue?

thanx, donrob It's alpha -- I save early and often ;-)

Jonathan Cohen 10 years, 2 months ago

Hi DonRob,

The most useful thing is if you can figure out a set of steps that will reliably lead to the crash. And/or if you've been working with a particular file, and it seems that after working with it a bit, you get a crash, you could send us that file, and we can try playing with it.

Thanks.

• j

Jonathan Cohen 10 years, 2 months ago

We could also send you a debug version--you might get a stack stack trace, and there are other debug-only output files we could look at.

• j

Don Roberts 10 years, 2 months ago

Of course, now I can't get it to crash ;-) I'll get back to you if it starts acting up again.

cheers, Don

w5hir 7 years, 6 months ago

I have also been experiencing a crash which says" sorry but this program has been experiencing a problem and must quit"  or somewhat like that.  The program seems to be working fine, and then suddenly I get this message tht it is experiencing a problem.  What gives?

w5hir

Jonathan Cohen 7 years, 6 months ago

Hi WShir,

Hard to say without more information.  Can you remember what you were up to in Fritzing just before the crashes?

Thanks.

- j

w5hir 7 years, 6 months ago

Hi Jonathan,  Yes .  I had been trying to develop a sketch when it first began to crash.

I was into the sketch for about 20 minutes, and received this message that it was sorry but a problem had been encountered and had to close  etc.  So, I called up the program, and tried to resume the sketch. and wham, again I got the same message.

This last time, I thought I would call up the program and let her sit.  Sure enough, crash!

Jonathan Cohen 7 years, 6 months ago

Hi WShir,

Thanks for the info.  Offhand, I can think of only one process that Fritzing will try to run when nothing else is happening, which is to make an automatic backup of any open sketch file. You can test this pretty easily.  Open up the Fritzing Preferences dialog (under Windows XP, it's the last option in the Edit menu).  At the bottom of the Preferences dialog is a checkbox labeled "Autosave".  Uncheck the checkbox and save your preferences. 

Let us know whether that helps.

Cheers,

- j

Bobb Craig 7 years, 5 months ago

Just found you and downloaded the program. Running on XP, but I am having the same problem as w5hir. The program has sent you the errors the 3 times I have tried to use it. The first time, I did not even start to work, the secon I tried to go straight from the Arduion icon, and the last time I tried to go from the normal icon, and it crashed about 15 seconds after it started. I would REALLY like to use the program, being new to Arduion, but with 40+ years of electronics experience, I like everything about th program (from what I have read) ...

Thank up front for your time and help.

Jonathan Cohen 7 years, 5 months ago

Hi Bobb,

I am not sure what you mean by "going from the normal icon".  Can you email a screenshot of the fritzing before it crashes to info .at. fritzing .dot. org so we can see how far it gets?

Thanks.

- j

Sorry about that. When I unzipped the program, there is the Fritzing.exe icon. That was what I was calling "normal icon". However, in a lower level folder (not sure what it is at present as I am not in from of my regular laptop), there is a specific icon related to the Arduino board which I tried. I had the same success/failue using that way into the program as well. When I get home and back to my laptop, I will restart the program and send you screen shots of the error. That said, I did let the system send you information when the program crashed, so you should have a record of those errors? They happened about 0400Z if that helps?

Thanks,

Bobb

Error ...  (What shows on the screen)after this ... the program closes?

Thaat is the best I can send youz? I must admit it would appear that this is a problem on my computer rather than your program, but it only happens with the Fritzing program?

Jonathan Cohen 7 years, 5 months ago

Hi Bobb,

Thanks for posting the images.  (The error report, by the way, goes to Microsoft, not to us.)   Unfortunately, I have no idea what to suggest.  Can you grab a snapshot of Fritzing before the crash--that way I can try to determine whether something obvious is broken even before the crash occurs.

Sorry I don't have a better idea,

- j

Jonathan,

I noted my mistake about where the error log was going earlier today ... anyway, as far as taking a snapshot, I can do that, although the MS error box might be in the way, and if I acknowledge it the entire program shuts down. Sometimes the program will just shut down without getting the error log request as well?

I brought the program up, and then just let it set for about 30 minutes, and that did NOT generate any errors, so obviously the conflict has something to do with moving objects or drawing connecting lines. I will go at it again tomorrow, and try to figure out which action actually causes the failure, but even then, I believe it has to do with XP and NOT with FRITZTNG.

I originally loaded the program on my D: drive, and thought maybe that was an issue, but when I downloaded it for a second time (to the C: drive), I found that the new copy was missing all of the QT files? Not sure why that happened, so I plan to try for another d/l tomorrow as well.

Thanks again for your time and what I hope to be a very usable program.

Bobb

Jonathan,

So that was where it failed ... as you can see, I had not done verymuch ..

Bobb