This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Crashing on XP

Bobb Craig 7 years, 5 months ago

Jonathan,

Here is another error screen. I also turned on Dr. Watson just prior to starting Fritzing, and also have that log if it will help?

Bobb

Jonathan Cohen 7 years, 4 months ago

Hi Bobb,

You can email the log to info .at. fritzing .dot. org.  

Also, I wonder if this thread might be relevant?  The point is that there might be a conflict between two sets of dlls, MSVCP100.dll and MSVCR100.dll that come with the Fritzing distribution, and MSVCP90.dll and MSVCR90.dll (or MSVCP80.dll and MSVCR80.dll) that might already be installed on your system.   If you find the earlier dlls in the system folder, you could see whether it makes any difference if you temporarily remove them, then do a restart.  Be warned though that some other program may depend on these dlls.  

To be clear, this is just a guess.

- j 

daveincaol 7 years, 4 months ago

I have re-downloaded Fritzing following a computer problem. I'm using XP Pro. The Fritzing download is 0.6.4 (b12.16) and is an Alpha. The programme crashes when attempting to load with 14% of New Sketch loaded.

Hi Fritzing XP Users,

Unfortunately, I do not have a good idea of what is going wrong, and Fritzing doesn't crash when I try it on our XP SP3 machine.  That PC has had lots of software installed, including Visual Studio Express.  I am wondering whether this could be the difference?  Anyone willing to try installing Visual Studio Express 2010 (it's free) to see whether that helps?

Cheers,

- j

Bobb Craig 7 years, 4 months ago

Jonathan,

I will do that tomorrow, if you will tell me what part(s) of the program to want me to install. I did not find an overall download, but five seperate elements (http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express) none of which have the exact title "Video Studio Express". I looked for the .dll's on my computer, but only found the "100" versions, and then only in the Fritzing" folder. Just let me know what you think I should load, and I will do so. I can load all five, but rather doubted that the "Phone" version had much to do with it. Also, I am running XP Professional SP3, if it matters. 

Bobb

Hi Bobb,

Thanks for your willingness to experiment.  Try Visual C++ 2010 Express.

Cheers,

- j

I thought that experimentation was what this was all about? I will give that a try later this morning. Also, as I cannot get to the program, can you tell me if the JeeLabs boards are in the library?

Bobb

We have three JeeLabs parts in the library: JeeNode Wireless Microcontroller (128), Carrier Card Expansion (089), and JeePlug Experimenter's board (104).

- j

Hi Bobb,

Actually, before trying Visual Studio Express, a useful experiment would be to download the previous version of Fritzing (0.6.3) to see whether that works.  That file is available here, under the Older Releases section at the bottom of the page.

Thanks again,

- j

I will send you the DrWatson file, and then try both the 0.6.3 version as well as download the  Visual C++ 2010 Express program, and try it with the current Fritzing verion. I will let you know what happens with each version later tonight. Also, thanks for the information concerning the JeeLabs units.