This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Phantom points, disappearing 2nd layer, frisky PCB, and crashing

isnoop 8 years, 2 months ago

I have 5 issues bugging me on 0.4.3 running in OSX.

1) If I lay out a board in the breadboard designer, set things up on the PCB, then do autoroute, a phantom point sometimes appears on the breadboard with dozens of new lines all tied to it.

2) Whenever I re-open a saved project, the PCB forgets about the 2nd layer and traces on that layer are occasionally unrecoverable.

3) The PCB is the default reciever for clicks if you miss all other objects in PCB layout mode.  However, I *never* want to move the PCB and tiny traces are often hard to hit with the mouse, especially when I'm moving quickly.  I'd love to see a feature where the PCB (or any other component, for that matter) can be locked into place and won't move relative to the workspace.

4) Whenever I change the number of layers on the PCB, it shrinks down to 100mm X 60mm.  I'd like the size to remain the same when switching layers.

5) The app is still rather unstable.  Of course, it's alpha so I have to expect that, but it's worth noting that on OSX there appears to be a memory leak issue and/or a bug causing the app to progressively slow down over time.

This is a great project!  Thanks to everyone for their hard work making this happen.

--Ian

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 2 months ago

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the post.  These are all valid points, and there is good news about some of them.

1.  This issue is a deep one and won't be addressed until the release after next.

2.  This bug will be fixed in the next release, but there is a workaround in the meantime.  Check out this thread, particularly near the end:  http://fritzing.org/forum/thread/357/?page=all#post1459.

3.  A bare-bones lock mode for any part will be available in the next release.

4.  Will try to get to this one in the next release.

5.  This kind of issue can be hard to track down.  If you notice any correlations, other than just length of time, please let us know.  Otherwise, we'll try to attack it in the release after next.

I don't have a firm release date for the next version, but the most sunny, rosy, over-optimistic time frame would be late January.

Cheers,

- j

Jonathan,

Thank you very much for the follow-up!  I'll try those workarounds.  I have noticed two more issues:

6. When I set the auto-save to 1 minute, the app hung and then crashed.  During the crash, it truncated the active project file to 0 bytes.  (fortunately, I'm saving to a Dropbox folder which has backups of every save)

7. Sometimes traces don't snap to the grid.  Maybe this happens with everything from time to time, but I haven't experienced it with anything but traces.

I'll definitely start paying more attention to what leads up to #5. Thanks again for making such an intuitive and highly useful app!

Correction on #6.  I have a particular .fz file that crashes Fritzing every time I try to save, auto-save or not.  Doing so truncates the file to 0 bytes.

I can restore several saves back from Dropbox and experience the same thing, but I don't have that same problem on other .fz files, including one I forked off previously.

Would you like me to email the file to you so you could have a solid repro?

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 2 months ago

Hi Ian,

I'll add your new issues to the bug tracker.  Yes, please email the file to info (at) fritzing (dot) org.

Cheers,

- j