This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Fritzing and relays

liljoey112 3 years, 8 months ago

Hello, I am desiging a relay sheild and with all the relays i cant seem to find a "Normal" One. By normal i mean those cheap ones you can buy for 50 cents. Here is the data sheet  they seem like common relays This awesome program must have it some where 

jackMiser 3 years, 8 months ago

Nads... We could make one tho.... :D

That would be great! only if i knew how!

Do you have inkscapr installed? If not start by installing that program! :D Then look over some SVG file to see and unserstand their layout. Once you do that.... I'll help you make this part.

inkscape* this forum sucks for not allowing an edit..... Shame

Okay so i installed inkscape, and i attempted to make the pin layout. here is the link to what i did http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y505/Joseph_Burgio/Relay_zps8fgpdzut.png

bootchk 3 years, 8 months ago

"Normal" is relative.  I am not familiar with the range of packages for relays.  But I would guess that relays are rarely used anymore and are not something for which there are standardized, common packages.  But Fritzing does have some packages for relays, and it might be easier to use such a package (for a few dollars more) than to create a new package in Fritzing.  But then again, you might have fun creating a new package.  It all depends on your priorities.

I would completely disagree. That procress does not properly teach the program, or what it takes to keep productions costs low. If someone has a great idea and they are looking for a cost effictive way to make said product. Then by all means. All roads lead to Roam. Just make sure the parts you pick are going to be in-stock a few years down the road and not a soon to be obsolete part. There are so many case sizes and packages to choose from. There is no right or wrong way.

By the looks of that relay, if you made it to SIZE in Inkscape? Should work.... But, I do suggest looking at the current part SVG files so you can get the footprint/colors/&grouping correct. Then it should import like a dream into the parts editor(I suggest editing a current relay). So play around a bit more. I'll try and get back here a bit quicker. But you are well on your way to any custom part you want! This is always the way to go! :) Nothing like learning something!

adfitzhu 3 years, 7 months ago

How did this go?  Were you able to make this part?  I was about to attempt to make the same one before stumbling onto this?