This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Any news on when top-down components are coming?

commathe 4 years, 3 months ago

I know the Fritzing team are most interested in arduino and other entry-level microcontroller protyping type electronic projects, but Fritzing has an enormous potential for other DIYers making audio grear, robotics and radio stuff if it had top down view components. Currently, the capacitors and LEDs make it impossible to design a nice, tight perfboard layout that is actually followable. The ability to directly connect a schematic to a layout is such a powerful function that it's a shame it becomes near useless for designing physical layouts on perfboard/veroboard etc. Even cramped breadboard layouts are not possible.

Similarly, another function that would be great for layouts to be soldered together in the real world would be a "parts number" mode where parts could be numbered R1, R2 etc and C1, C2 and Q1, D1 blah blah. This, combined with an automatic bill of materials generation that would list part numbers beside their values could make Fritzing the absolute go to diy electronic software.

By the last part, I meant that the parts would actually show up with "R1" on them so when you print it out it'd be easier to match it up to your schematic.

I hate to come on here and sound critical as I know Fritzing is non-profit. If I had the skills, I would defintiely be adding these parts myself and offering them up for everyone. Tragically anything I draw doesn't compare at all to your wonderful built in graphics.

Ultimately, it's a real shame because Fritzing could offer everything I (and nearly any DIYer) needs, but my use of Fritzing is boiled down to opening it up every month or so and hoping there is an update that adds top down parts and nicer schematic editor (the latter being less important).

Frode Lillerud 4 years, 3 months ago

Frode Lillerud

Hi commathe, not entirely sure I'm following what you want. Are you talking about the breadboard view? And that you want to print it with the component labels? Like this?

If so, you can rightclick the component, and choose "Show part label".

Yes, I mean in breadboard view. I mean that components like the electrolytic capacitors and leds could really benefit from having an option to look at them from on top, looking down. Like the resistors and ics. Right now they only have an isometric view with really long legs.

Didn't know that about the labels! Thanks!

amundsen 4 years, 2 months ago

Indeed a systematic use of a top view would make breadboard view much easier.

Fabian Althaus 4 years, 2 months ago

we allready has an open issue for this topic. could you please explain me more in detail what you mean with a 2d-pcb-view? isn't it allready 2d... and the schematic-view too?!?!

https://code.google.com/p/fritzing/issues/detail?id=765&sort=-modified&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Milestone%20Component%20Owner%20Summary%20Modified