This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Why Fritzing Needs a Simulator

solidsnake26 4 years, 5 months ago

You can try 

http://123d.circuits.io/ 

Its really good simulator

commathe 4 years, 4 months ago

I think that trying to integrate a simulator into Fritzing would be too enormous a task to really be feasable. However, could it generate .spice netlists? That way you could export your frizting schematic into a simulator of your choice. It could be interesting to see .spice import also to allow changes made in the simulator to be imported back in. Though I would imagine that some kind of comaprison between the old and new circuits would be needed to stop all of the components flying around unconnected and having to be rearranged.

ZcuBa 4 years, 2 months ago

Hi,
In many ways a simulation option, would be wonderfull.
However as we all also loves to add our own parts, a full blown simulation option will always be extremely complex.

I would love an "simulate with Spice" feature.

However even if it is as simple as possible, we will have some problems.

Consider the case of a "STDP Relay". For most spice engines, the spice simulator would assume a constant circuit, or require a transient simulation, and convergence is not quaranteed.
for others, it will work perfectly.

So for an integration with a spice simulation, how do we handle this? - and how about dependency on the particular chosen engine?

That speaks for a simple netlist export in a spice format. In this case it is the users task to select a proper spice engine for the particular simulation.

And what to do about µC's? will we have to simulate all pertubations of states of I/O pins? - should the user select which pin is used for input, and which for output? - and must the user also select him self, that an output is high or low?

--
I propose to handle this in the same way as software engineers would handle software releases.
1) The user can create a test specification, via GUI, or xml, in which he selects a certain output configuration for all the µC's in the circuit.
2) The must create such a specification for all the cases he wants to test / simulate
3) Any I/O pin, can by the user be specified either prior to Spice export, or in test specification as,
a) input treated electrical as an operational amplifier
b) pull up (via internal PNP)
c) pull down (via internal NPN)

d) open (internally Not connected)

In this manner no arduino or PIC software simulation is necessesary, as the user can freely set up a test case, where the µC is in a certain state, and then does something, and test if the circuit reacts as expected.

Doing this will not be extremely advanced, in the SPICE export as the I/O pins are simply replaced by equivalent standard analog circuits representating a certain I/O state.
It will not be easy to do, but it will improve the useabillity of an export option extremely, and thus cover all the simulation needs I have seen in my class the last year.

(teaching basic electronics and mechatronics in high school)