This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Crasing while creating a new part

smkoberg 8 years, 6 months ago

I'm trying to create a 16 pin SMD part using the 16 pin DIP IC part as a starting point. When I pull the DIP part to the breadboard area and open the parts editor, I first change the image for the PCB layout to be a SO16 footprint found at \parts\svg\contrib\pcb.

I then try saving it as a new part and get an error message:

Fritzing caught an exception PartsEditorView::updateTerminalPoints tp missing from saveAsPartButton in event 3

When I click ok, it asks me if I want to save my progress then exits fritzing.

Any ideas as to whats happening or a way to avoid the crash?

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 6 months ago

Hi Smkoberg,

The bug will be fixed in the next release.  I think the only workaround until then would be to download version 0.4.3 and use that to create your part.

Cheers,

- j

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 6 months ago

Just reread the above and noticed that you're trying to create an SMD part.  SMD support is pretty shaky in 0.5.2 and earlier, so even if you get past the immediate part-creation hurdle, you may have further difficulties ahead.  The next release will have better support for SMDs.

- j

offtherails2010 7 years, 6 months ago

Hi folks!

I'm trying my best to create a 556 Dual Timer IC, i have all the pinc labelled in the schemait veiw but everytime i try to save it in any bin Fritzing Crashes! Please could anyone help me fix this as i have only just started using it and only just started learning electronics this year, would be very very grateful !

My intention was to upload the 556 Dual Timer IC so everyone can have it but i am stuck trying to add it to any bin so far, been at-it for a whole 7 DAYS and have googled myself-MAD !!!!

Please help !

Jonathan Cohen 7 years, 6 months ago

Hi OffTheRails,

Sorry that you are having so much difficulty. What version of Fritzing are you using, and on what platform?  

Are you creating the part from scratch using your own SVG files, or are you basing your new part on a part that already exists?

- j