Beginner article on making Fritzing components

BertrandLeRoy 2 years, 11 months ago

Hi all, and thanks for a wonderful platform.

I'm starting with Fritzing and thought I would document my learning process on my blog. The first article can be found here:
http://weblogs.asp.net/bleroy/archive/2011/08/09/building-a-simple-fritzing-component.aspx

I hope this helps others.

Cheers,
Bertrand

Jonathan Cohen 2 years, 11 months ago

Hi Bertrand.  

Thanks--that's really excellent work. I like that you recommend editing SVG text with a text editor--that's usually my approach as well.

You are correct that a terminal represents the contact point of a pin--i.e. where a wire would attach. But the terminal element itself does not have to have a particular size--the actual contact point is the center of the terminal element.  The terminal element is optional; if there is no terminal element, then the contact point is the center of the pin element.

It is true that terminals should usually be 0.1 inch apart in breadboard view (but there are common exceptions), but this is not the case in schematic view, and is also often but not always the case in pcb view.

Your post is quite thorough, but there may still be a few stray bits of useful info here.

Happy shaving,

- j

BertrandLeRoy 2 years, 11 months ago

Ah, thanks a bunch, I'll be able to update the post tonight with corrections and additional info.

Please login to post a reply.