This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Two-sided PCB not showing second side & no drills for custom parts in gerber export

haraldb 7 years, 7 months ago

Dear Fritzing-Team,

I'm currently trying to prepare several PCBs to be produced in the Fritzing-FAB, however, I have two problems:

1) When I close fritzing and reopen my project, in PCB view only the top copper side is shown and the buttons for switching the side are not there. However the PCB itself is still declared as double-sided in its options. When I change that to single sided and back to double sided, some of the bottom-copper traces reappear. However not all of them and I have to route the missing ones again.

2) When I export my PCB in the gerber format and view it in gerbv, there are no drills for my custom parts. I'm not sure what I did wrong as they show up fine in all three views in fritzing. I tried defining the connectors both as male and female, but still no drills show up.

Any help would be appreciated:-)

Best regards,

Harald

Jonathan Cohen 7 years, 7 months ago

Hi Harald,

Which version of Fritzing are you using?  This was a bug matching this description, but I think it was in versions prior to 0.6.0.  

Are you using a core pcb part or a custom one?

- j

haraldb 7 years, 7 months ago

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm using 0.6.3 but possibly I started with this project on a version prior to 0.6.0. Anyways, I have just been able to fix the first problem. In the .fz file there were two pcb's defined. I manually deleted the single sided one in a text editor and now I can open the file with all traces there:-)

However the problem with the drill holes still persists. That occurs in a custom part.

Best regards,

Harald

Jonathan Cohen 7 years, 7 months ago

Hi Harald,

Yes, that was the old bug exactly.  Good for you for figuring it out.

As to the drills, I think I would need a look at one of the custom parts.  So either select one of the custom parts and export it (option under the Part menu) and email the resulting .fzpz file, or save the whole sketch as sharable (option under the File menu) and email the resulting fzz file.  The email address is info .at. fritzing .dot. org.

- j

haraldb 7 years, 6 months ago

Hey Jonathan,

I just e-mailed an fzz file with the custom part to the address you mentioned. Thanks for looking into this!

Best regards,

Harald

local_dani_21 7 years, 6 months ago

Hi Jonathan, hi Harald

I just stepped into the same problem ... upon what tags is the drill-file generated? Could you please let me know what I have to look for in the fzp or what you discussed over email?

Thank you,

Dani

BTW: Jonathan, I solved all the other issues :) Struggling isn't bad sometimes!

Drill-File can not be interpreted

Precision: I use Fritzing 0.6.3 on a Snow Leopard Mac and when I create a new fritzing project and use onle core-parts (resistors, diodes, LEDs), I get into the same problem. MCN is not able to interpret the drills.txt-File.

drills.txt contains (for the above example):

M48 M72,TZ T10C0.039371 T11C0.023628 T12C0.051176 T13C0.035000 % T12 X3.021140Y0.851830 X3.375480Y0.851830 T13 X4.190030Y1.382244 X3.907190Y1.665087 T10 X3.073480Y1.586423 X3.270030Y1.582978 X3.173480Y1.586423 T11 X3.296730Y1.097900 X3.296730Y0.605770 X3.099880Y1.097900 X3.099880Y0.605770 T00 M30

Enjoy your day,
Dani

Jonathan Cohen 7 years, 6 months ago

Hi Dani,

I am not sure this is the same problem, since you are not seeing drill holes for the core parts either.  I have found that all Gerber viewers are not the same.  One that I use (ViewMate on PC) reads Gerber layer files with one menu option, and reads drill.txt files from another menu option, since these two file types actually have different formats.  If MCN lets you open all Gerber and drill files with one menu item (so this isn't the source of the problem), then try out another gerber viewer (like gerbv) and see what happens.

- j

Hi Jonathan

I just tried to use an online gerber-viewer (http://www.gerber-viewer.com/default.aspx) but there I realized that this viewer too can't cope with the produced drill-text-file. It asks about what format it is to be read (Gerber/Excellon 1 or 2). No matter what I choose, it does not show any holes.

So what I wonder: What format is the drill.txt-file written in?

Thank you,

Dani

It is plain old Excellon format.  Email your sketch file (save as sharable) to the usual place and I will take a look.  Might as well include your gerber output files.

- j

One other thought occurs to me.  Try an export to gerber in which the sketch only contains core parts--no custom parts.  Does the drill output work then?

- j

BTW: The online-viewer (http://www.gerber-viewer.com/default.aspxworks good if you tell it, that it's an excellon-1-file and measurements are in inches.

Dani