This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Problem Adding Connectors to Custom Part

idtjes3 9 years, 10 months ago

Hello,

I'm trying to create a 20 pin IC. First, I drew it in inkscape. Then I open fritzing and added a mystery part.I set mystery part to 20 pins and hit edit part. It takes me into the editor. Then, for breadboard view I load my part i created in inkscape. I remove all pins on the part and add the pins and resize them as I need them where I need them. Finally, save as new part. When I go back o breadboard mode and add the IC from the "Mine" menu, the IC turns red when I mouse over it. If I try to go back and edit it all the pin connectors I added have resized themselves to the size of the whole chip. Did I do something wrong along the way?

Jonathan Cohen 9 years, 10 months ago

Hi Idtjes,

I think this is a bug in Fritzing. I'm working with the latest version (3.6) by the way. The workaround seems to be to not delete all the connectors and add them again. In other words, as you said above, but when you load your new image for breadboard view, go to the connectors tab of the parts editor, and that should say that you have mismatching connectors ids. Hit the "fix this" button for all of the connectors, then move and resize the connectors in breadboard view.

• j

Ill try that. I have 2 problems I'm running into now. I brought a 16 pin 595 chip into inkscape and made a 20 pin part to use for my mystery part. It saves fine, looks fine, but when I load it into the edit part menu, it cuts 2 pins off the left and 2 pins off the right of the chip. Its also cutting my schematic view short too chopping off the 2 bottom pins and top pins. Secondly I wastrying to creat a part and I think I over wrote the default breadboard view for the 20 pin mystery chip. How do I get it back? I tried deleting the program and re downloading it but it still keeps the edited mystery part. Are these stored somewhere else besides the default directory?

Not sure about the cut off problem. Do you want to try attaching your part to an email to info (at) fritzing (dot) org?

As for the missing 20 pin mystery part, that's a Fritzing bug--the original mystery part is still there, it's just being masked by the new part. There is a way to get it back (other than waiting for the next release of Fritzing), but it involves editing a part xml file. Are you up for that? Which platform are you running Fritzing on?

Sorry for the troubles.

• j

OK, so I fixed the problem with the Mystery 20 pin. Apparently when Fritzing runs, it places a folder in the C:\Documents and Settings\"Users Name"\Application Data\ directory. All I did was delete that folder, then ran the program again and all is well. As for the part problem I'm thinking maybe I did something wrong in inkscape. I emailed my created parts to the email address you gave me. I hope its something simple. Love the program so far by the way.

Hello,

Just seeing if you received those parts and maybe figured out whats wrong? No rush, just haven't heard anything in a few days. Thanks.

Sorry, out of radio contact for a few days. Will have a look tomorrow.

• j

I tried loading it into Qt's example SVG renderer (i.e. not using Fritzing at all), and the breadboard file was chopped off there. So it looks like a problem with the Qt renderer itself. Are the files you emailed directly from Inkscape, or were these the files saved in Fritzing's application data folder. If the latter, can you send me the files you created with Inkscape?

Hi,

What I did was I took a part ( a 16 pin shift register) copied 4 pins and moved them to the end. The stretched the part until it was the right length. I tried to draw from scratch but inkscape was a bit frustrating to try and use, to be honest :). The files I sent were edited with inkscape, saved as a normal .svg and then sent to you. I didn't use fritzing to make any parts. Thanks.

~ John

Hey everyone I was able to trouble shoot the error with the help of the fritzing staff ( awesome). Anyways what I was told to do was copy my part in inkscape, create a new file in inscape ( file > new), then paste the part into the new file. Then file> document properties> fit page to selection. Lastly, save the file as a plain .svg . It worked and the part now displays correctly in fritzing's part editor. Thanks again.

dmaugis 9 years, 1 month ago

Hi,

I am trying to do a custom part, and I found a few problems or bugs, I'll be glad to get a bit of help :-) i work under fedora 11, fritzing 0.3.19, inkscape 0.47

1/ breadboard view: I created a breadboard view of my part, with some text; when i zoom my part under inkscape, the text and other parts look ok. under fritzing, when i zoom the text and other parts seem not in place.

2/ in the part editor, you can move the part on the right and left panes (breadboard and pcb views)...and you cnnot on the schematic view - which makes it very difficult to place conectors.

3/ it is very difficult in alll the view to select the connectors in order to move them. I had to resize them, move them and resize them again.

4/ when creating / placing conectors, sometimes some connectors end up taking the size of the whole part, and whatever you do to, you cannot place them correctly or resize them. 

5/ suggestion: when the mouse curso is over a connector for some time in those vews - if you could make the name of the connector appear ?

Thanks

Jonathan Cohen 9 years, 1 month ago

Please export the part and email it to info (at) fritzing (dot) org and we'll take a look.

Cheers,

- j

Hi DMaugis,

Here's a more full response:

1. Please email us your part and we'll have a look

2. I haven't been able to replicate this issue.  By a combination of zooming in, and making the schematic view area larger in the parts editor, I've been able to move the part.  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem?

3. Acknowledged--we're thinking about how to improve this.  Does zooming in help?

4. This sounds like a bug.  Is there a way you've been able to get this behavior to repeat regularly?

5. Good idea, we'll add it to our issue tracker.

Thanks.

- j

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your responsiveness. I did send email and attachements. For the forum, I copy here part of my email to you.

2/ was ["in the part editor, you can move the part on the right and left panes (breadboard and pcb views)...and you cannot on the schematic view - which makes it very difficult to place connectors."]

This may be due to my schema being quite high.

4/ was ["when creating / placing connectors, sometimes some connectors end up taking the size of the whole part, and whatever you do to, you cannot place them correctly or resize them"].

I have a scenario to reproduce, but not sure it is the only one, not systematic either.

a/ create a connector, do NOT press "Accept" NOR "Cancel"
b/ move the connector to place it on breadboard, schematic and pc view
c/ press "Save" to save your part.
d/ fritzing ask to restart, say yes
e/ iterate

by creating connector and immediately pressing "Accept", i could go much much farther:
but then..after a time....I got my connectors scrambled again. maybe i did another mistake though.

Thanks again, your program is great.

Hi David,

I think I've figured out the problem with the moving text.  I have a workaround for you, but I'm not sure what Fritzing should do in the general case.  It has to do with the different way that Inkscape and Qt (the framework underlying Fritzing) deal with svg [text] elements (note: I'm using square instead of angle brackets because this forum text input widget gets confused by angle brackets). 

So, in your breadboard svg, there are [text] elements containing [tspan] elements.  The [text] elements have the following attribute:  xml:space="preserve".  And there are some spaces between the [text] element and the [tspan] it contains.  Inkscape and Chrome seem to ignore these spaces, but Qt is including them.  It's the included spaces that are offsetting the text.   So the workaround is to edit the svg file in a text or xml editor, either to remove the xml:space="preserve" attribute, or take out the spaces.

I suspect that Qt's implementation isn't the standard one, but I really don't know.  Just for grins, if you put "hello" in where those spaces are, you see that Inkscape and Chrome don't really ignore that text,  they just treat it in a particular way (and Qt treats it differently).

- j

PS.  When you use Inkscape for Fritzing, best to do a "save as" and choose the "plain svg" option from the popup at the bottom.  This doesn't help with the problem at hand, though.

Hi Jonathan,

Ok, understood. I would do that but....do I need to reimport the image file (I am afraid to loose all connectors already done) or may i do it on the svg in ~/.config/Fritzing/parts/svg/user/breadboard.

As for the save as "plain svg" i think this is what I did :-(

I will check if somewhere in inkscape there is an option to remove those xml:space="preserve".

Thanks

No need to reimport, go ahead and modify the one in ~/.config/Fritzing/parts/svg/user/breadboard.

- j

It is *MUCH* better after I removed the xml:space="preserve" in the svg. thanks

Just fyi, I passed a simplified version of this file along to Qt as a bug, and got the following response:

"I've tested the attached SVG with Opera, Firefox, Inkscape and WebKit, and they display the SVG correctly and as intended. The leading spaces have no effect because the tspan is positioned explicitly. However, explicit positioning of tspans is not part of the SVG Tiny 1.2 specification, which is what Qt supports. Qt will therefore position the tspan after the leading spaces."

So the problem seems to be that Inkscape's export gave each tspan its own set of coordinates, which is not supported by Qt.  So Fritzing will have to add this case to the svg clean-up code in the parts editor.