This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Stripboard treatise

goldie 5 years, 11 months ago

Perhaps I am missing something here, since I couldn't find any comments about it. As such I am phrasing the following as a proposed upgrade, although I realize the answer may be that I need to learn more about capabilities that are already present. My initial confusion begins when using a stripboard in place of a plug-in breadboard, the graphic presentation seems to imply that one is placing the through-hole components on the copper side, which is opposite to how I ordinarily do it and contrary to normal usage with a single-sided PCB (and nearly impossible to solder with some components.) I suppose one could choose to imagine that the strips are actually located on the other side, but when cutting the strips the screen would be the mirror image of the work. From my point of view a really useful stripboard design application would support optimal usage of this highly flexible medium, which is capable of approximating the functions of a multi-layer PCB while rapidly building reliable, near-PCB prototypes. My suggestions for fritzing: - the ability to view either side of the board, flipping at will or showing both views side-by-side. - default to normal top/bottom convention, i.e., plain holes on the component side with the copper strips on the "bottom". - when viewed from either side the opposite side elements should remain visible, but in shadow form (dimmed or differently colored); retaining the current ability to cut or heal the now shadowed strips from the top/component side would be a great step forward compared to manual design methods. - in addition to the state of the strips, the bottom view should also mark the hole locations which are 'occupied' by component pins/leads. - in stripboard work the transverse and random connections are obviously made with jumper wires, usually on the component side, but copper side jumpers (and perhaps leaded components too) are sometimes necessary and need to be supported appropriately. - there are different physical strip cutting styles; the currently supported one represents knife cuts between holes, but the more common methods center the cut on a hole (destroying or isolating a 'pad' out of the strip.) Of course the latter can be emulated with the current tool by cuts on both sides of a hole, but a single-step option for this would be convenient. In use it will generally be easier to design the circuit viewed from the top, but flipping to the bottom view will provide an accurate guide to cutting the strips while checking their relationship to component placement (via the "occupied" holes pattern.) Nirvana!

goldie 5 years, 11 months ago

Ugh! Don't you hate the way blogs smash all of your nice paragraphs and formatting into one big glob of masticated chewing gum?

Tom S 5 years, 3 months ago

Tom S

cool idea, maybe a part could be made in the interim that is identical to the stripboard but either has some drop-downs or via the parts editor you delete nodes and then you can view in the pcb screen the multiple sides.