This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Getting labels on pins for Arduino Nano

jasonkahana 4 years, 5 months ago

I noticed that the part for the Arduino Nano doesn't have labels on the pins in PCB view (as does the micro).  The pins are specified- when I hover the label shows up.  But how can I get the labels to be there so I can always see them when I'm designing?

jackMiser 4 years, 5 months ago

Edit the PCB SVG file in inkscape... Add the text to the PCB SVG board file. Then import SVG in parts editor under PCB tab, then save as your custom part. then take your part from the 'your aka mine" parts section.  Look magic!. :)

I did the modification of the SVG, but I can't seem to import the SVG.  I can't find an "import" function in the menus.  Is it "Load Image For View?"  Is there a color that the text must be?

In parts editor, PCB tab. click on FILE then LOAD IMAGE FOR VIEW. Have fun!

Oh and just a quick read.... Hopefully you already did

http://fritzing.org/fritzings-graphic-standards/

Jack,

I appreciate the help.  But I still cant seem to get the letters to show up.  I am trying to do this for the Arduino Nano part.  The Arduino micro seems to work fine, and both seem to have the annotations in the SVG file.  But for some reason, the pin definitions for the nano just wont show up.  I was able to turn them black in inkscape, but when I load image for view, they aren't there.

When you are working in Inkscape, you must make sure you are working in the group called 'silkscreen"  All your labels must be in there. Only certain fonts work. I personally had issues with DROID SANS, but OCRA worked great!! So it is very important that you make the grouping the same. Just adding the words doesn't work. I'd suggest opening a few different PCB SVG files and looking over their layout. Match your's up the best you can. IT should work. You'll get it!! :)

Finally I got it.  The image had the lettering and the part shape in 2 different groups, so when I put them into the same one ("silkscreen"), it worked.  Thanks so much!

Not a problem! You'll take that knowledge into your next part. A quick tip, don't forget inkscape has draggable guides from x/y cords on the side. That will help when you come to making a custom parts. Happy circuiting!! :)