This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

more control over solder mask

gijs gieskes 6 years, 6 months ago

some more solder mask options would be nice:

- solder mask blocker!

- text in solder mask layer, positive and negative (then you wont need a silkscreen layer).

- drawing of the solder mask (like coper traces).

- image import to solder mask.

Jonathan Cohen 6 years, 6 months ago

Hi Gijs,

We're not getting these requests. Can you give us a use case?

Thanks,

- j

gijs gieskes 6 years, 6 months ago

hi J,

they are not for practical use just for aesthetical, this way you can for instance have a two color image on your PCB, one color using the silkscreen layer and the other color using the solder mask.

i think the top solder mask is not that important to have.. and then you can just use it for somthing else.

you could also use the silkscreen layer for the text of where parts should be and what value. and then use the soldermask for other texts like what a button is for.

a soldermask blocker could be practical for if you want to have no soldermask on a part of the board and for the rest of the board you want to have a solder mask. for instance if you have a single board with a integrated front pannel, or if you have several boards in one design and one is single sided. 

and if a soldermask blocker is able to work not just in a square you can use it also to make simple aesthetic shapes.

GG

Jonathan Cohen 6 years, 5 months ago

Hi Gijs,

Thanks for clarifying. I will add these to the issue tracker, but since I suspect there is not so much demand for most of them, it will have to be a rainy-day project.

Cheers,

- j

PS. This thread seems relevant.

gijs gieskes 6 years, 5 months ago

in relation to this, i was thinking i could also switch/change the names and extensions of the silkTop and maskTop to get a for instance a white solder mask on the top and a green on the bottom side of the PCB.. then the solderMask would be over the silkscreen but probably still reasonable readable. 

i was just wondering if this is a safe thing to do, looking at the silkTop and maskTop i see no difference in what is in there.. but maybe i am missing something.

Hi Gijs,

The data format is the same for the two layers, and both involve a photolithographic process. Nevertheless I would make a small test case and send it to a fab house so you can get a look at the actual result.

- j

gijs gieskes 4 years, 9 months ago

still hoping for control over solder mask..

if i could control it when designing a part it would be great!

it could be usefull for top panel design, or for spark gaps.. or other things.

http://www.pcbheaven.com/opendir/index.php?show=969xo3985jc3b7a026f

greets Gijs

cptcredible 4 years, 9 months ago

+1

lissacoffey 4 years, 6 months ago

i was thinking i could also switch/change the names and extensions of the silkTop and maskTop to get a for instance a white solder mask on the top and a green on the bottom side of the PCB.. then the solderMask would be over the silkscreen but probably still reasonable readable.