This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

New parts editor working in Mac?

Matt Gilbert 6 years ago

What's the status on the new parts editor in Mac OS X?

The reason I ask is that I can't seem to assign a connector to an SVG element in any view: Breadboard, PCB or Schematic. Is this feature working in Mac OS X?

Jonathan Cohen 6 years ago

Hi Matti,

I think we would have heard something by now if this was generally not working.

Does the problem apply to SVG images you have loaded? If you open up a core part in the parts editor, and try to make a connector assignment with one of the existing images, does it work?

Once the parts editor is open, if you press the "select graphic" button in the "connectors" area on the right, then simply move the mouse (without clicking) over the svg image to the left, you should see pink highlighting. Anything highlighted in pink can be clicked--that is how you make the assignment. You may need to expand the Parts Editor window to a large enough size so that all the details in the "connectors" area become visible.

If this doesn't help, you might consider emailing a screenshot of the Parts Editor in action to info .at. fritzing .dot. org.

- j

Matt Gilbert 6 years ago

In case the problem had to do with my SVGs, I replicated the problem using the Fritzing template files. Here's a report. (I will be happy to add this as an issue to the code.google site if you would like me to.):

Steps taken to replicate the problem:

1) Download the Fritzing part template files.

2) Use Illustrator to make them import-ready:
  - For the Breadboard template, delete the background layer and save as an svg using the SVG Basic 1.1 setting. (I'm using Illustrator CS4.)
  - For the Schematic template, delete the help and background layers and save as an svg using the SVG Basic 1.1 setting. (I'm using Illustrator CS4.)
  - For the PCB template, no changes are neccessary, so use the downloaded file as-is.

3) In Fritzing, drag an 8-pin DIP IC into the breadboard view.

4) Right-click the IC and select "Edit (new parts editor)"

5) While in breadboard view in the parts editor, go to File>Load image for view.... Note that in the Connectors window, the pins are no longer assigned and no longer have checkmarks next to them.

6) In the connections list, select pin 1.

7) Click the "Select graphic" button next to pin 1.

8) Without clicking anything else first, click the SVG element corresponding to pin 1.

Expected result: The SVG element corresponding to pin 1 is pink while I mouse over it, and turns blue once I click it. In the connectors list, pin 1 now would have a check mark next to it. The same procedure works on the other 7 pins, saving the part works fine, and you can now use the part.

My result: The SVG element corresponding to pin 1 is pink while I mouse over it, and turns blue once I click it. However, in the connectors list, pin 1 doesn't have a check mark next to it. Even if I ignore this and follow the same procedure for the other seven pins, This is what happens next; "File>Save as new part" seems to work, but when I try to close the parts editor, I get this message:

"This part has 8 unassigned connectors in one view. Until all connectors are assigned to SVG elements, the part will not work correctly. Exiting the Parts Editor now is fine, as long as you remember to finish the assignments later."

If I try to drag the part from the parts bin into the breadboard view, the part has a red overlay covering it, as if the entire part was a connector. Here's a screengrab.

Hi Matt,

Could you also post one or more of the SVGs.

Thanks.

- j

Matt Gilbert 6 years ago

Sure, here's a zip of the "import-ready" templates:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13574910/Templates_importready.zip

(I don't see a way to attach files here on the forum, so this link may break after a while.)

Hi Matt,

The template files look correct, and under Windows the behavior matches your description of "expected" (e.g. each connector gets a checkmark after a "select graphic" click).  I will try testing on a Mac tomorrow.

- j

Matt Gilbert 6 years ago

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing what you find.

Hi Matt,

Tried this with the latest build, and with release 0.7.12 on a 10.8.x Mac and also with a 10.6.8 mac. In all four cases, after clicking on a pink highlighted area the connector checkbox is checked. I am not sure what to suggest at this point.

- j

Matt Gilbert 6 years ago

Well, upgrading to release 0.8.0 fixed it, for the most part. A problem remains though: Pin assignments in schematic view aren't saved, resulting in a similar red box to the previous screengrab.

To replicate, follow the steps above, but, starting from 5), assign all the pins, including in the schematic view, save the part, and drag it into your sketch in schematic view. Opening the part again in the parts editor will show no pin assignments in schematic view. (All the pins are unchecked.)

jopiek 6 years ago

It has some quircks indeed :( like pressing enter after editting a part description (app crashes then).

Hi Matt,

I am able to replicate the schematic view problem--thanks for the clear recipe. 

Hi Jopiek,

I am not seeing the description/enter crash--can you provide any more details (platform, part, etc.)?  Thanks.

- j