This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

PCB Connections Disappear when new SVG added - "Fix This" deletes connectors

Kurt Myob 8 years, 9 months ago

I am trying to create a new part (24-pin molex connector).

I started with the 24-pin "Mystery Part" and used inkscape to create a precision drawing of the PCB pinout.  When I load the SVG into the PCB window, it wipes out all the connectors in that window.

When I switch to the connectors window, each connector has a notice saying:

"Connector in breadboard and schematic view only"

with a button labeled "fix this"

When the button is pushed, instead of ADDING a connector to the PCB view for placement, the connectors in the other two views are delected.

I could delete ALL of the connectors and replace them in all three windows - but that sort of defeats the purpose of a "Mystery Part" template.

How do I get the connectors to REMAIN in the PCB view when I change the graphic?  Alternatively, how do I "fix" the connectors by ADDING to the PCB view instead of DELETING from the other two views?

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 9 months ago

Hi Kurt,

When you created the precision drawing in Inkscape, did you start with a any of the Fritzing footprints, or work from scratch?  If the latter, then you'll need to add some extra attributes to your svg so Fritzing will know where the connectors are.  

For example, if you have a pin that's defined as a circle (let's say "pin zero"), you would need to add "id='connector0pin'" to the xml.

Probably the easiest way to make this clearer is to look at one of the svg files that comes with Fritzing.  So open up the parts folder that that's inside the Fritzing folder (wherever you installed it),  specifically look in  parts/svg/core/pcb and open up one of the files, for example dip_4_100mil_pcb.svg.  Depending on your familiarity with svg (xml) you could open it in a text editor, xml editor, or Inkscape (under the Edit menu choose the Xml Editor option).

Let me know whether that helps, or doesn't seem to apply.

Cheers,

- j