This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Bug in custom board shape -> Gerber?

Eight 8 years, 10 months ago

I'm a bit gutted this morning, and I'm praying there's a way to fix this.

I designed this in Fritzing

but after exporting to Gerber files and viewing with ViewMate, it warns me that the drill file doesn't fit within the dimensions of the board. More worrying is that the shape of the board seems to be on the silkscreen bottom layer (shouldn't it be on a contour?) and has been exported the wrong size!?!?! The logo is also missing but I don't really care about that.

Is this a bug? Have I done something wrong? Any advice/help would be appreciated at this point.

Many thanks.

Ok, checked on something - I don't think it matters that the board shape is on the silkscreen later. Just a shame it's the wrong size. :-)

Brendan Howell 8 years, 10 months ago

if you want a contour to show up for gerber export you will need to put an outline in white on the silkscreen layer and give it the id "outline".

Not sure what's up with the logo.  Is it an SVG or JPG?

-Brendan

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 10 months ago

If you want us to have a look, email your sketch to info (at) fritzing (dot) org.  Use the "Save as shareable" menu option and send us the resulting .fzz file, since you're using custom parts.

- j

mtbf0 8 years, 10 months ago

i had a problem with a drill file that wouldn't load in gerbview.  i discovered that drill locations at exactly 1 and 2 inches from the edge of the board were printed in the drill file as integers.

i editted the file to change occurences of things like "X1Y" to "X1.0Y" and things like "Y2$" to "Y2.0".  (dollar sign represents end-of-line in a regular expression.)

seemed to help...

Thanks for the hint about integers; I'll add it to the issue tracker.

- j

Cheers for all the advice on this from everyone - it's very much appreciated. The board shape SVG (created in Illustrator) did have a white stroke border, but after reading the FAQs on BatchPCB, they indicate that even the shape marked on the silkscreen will be fine. So I don't think it'd matter if the contour wasn't created.

Cheers mtbf0, I'll give your suggestion about the drill file a whirl also.

Jonathan - that's really kind of you. I'll send over the file and it'd be amazing if you (or one of the team there) wouldn't mind taking a peek. Thank you very much.

Forgot to say, the logo thing was a jpeg so maybe the export doesn't like that. It's no big deal but I'll try it again with an SVG shape.

Now that I think about it, please email the jpeg logo as well.  

- j

Just for closure, the board size problem turned out to be another instance of the old Illustrator px unit problem (Illustrator SVG px units are 72 per inch, the rest of the world uses 90 per inch).  

Just wanted to publically thank Jonathan for helping me out there.  It's really amazing of him to do that.

Cheers mate. I owe you a pint or two.

For further closure: there's currently a bug in Fritzing when loading PNG files as logo images.  This will be fixed in the next release.  

- j