This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Stripboard / veroboard issues

amundsen 5 years ago

Hello,

In the breaboard view, I am using a stripboard. However, what I want is not a stripboard but rather a veroboard (layout with individual points rather than strips). A veroboard preset without any strip would be welcome otherwise one has to remove all the existing copper connections.

Second, with a big (but not unrealistic) size (20 x 50) Fritzing is disastrously slow when setting / removing a connection or when moving a component on the board.

So any improvement would be welcome !

nekomatic 4 years, 11 months ago

This is only a pedantic note, not an answer to your request, sorry, but Vero think a Veroboard is a stripboard. I guess you want an 'individual pad board'.

André Knörig 4 years, 11 months ago

André Knörig

Hi amundsen, we call that a "perfboard" and you can find it to the left of the "stripboard". It's also much faster than the stripboard, because you cannot cut/merge between individual holes.

The stripboard's performance could indeed be improved, but it's not on our short-term agenda I'm afraid. You can improve it somewhat by using multiple smaller ones, because the calculation time rises exponentially with the number of holes per board.

amundsen 4 years, 10 months ago

Actually I do want to merge/split holes, whatever the name of the actual thing. I'll try with smaller boards for parts which do not need to be connected. Thanks.

Russbo 4 years, 10 months ago

I second this. I'm trying to create a stripboard that is only 10 columns larger than stock, not only does it make every connection which I don't want, but the program hangs and is then unacceptably slow from there on out. I need to have a large board for my circuit.

Even if this program is single threaded, a 4.4GHz 4770K is definitely not an issue here. The threads are hardly even being stressed. This just strikes me as bad program design.

As an update, I think I may have found the issue.

Under Windows, Stripboard works fine using Intel graphics. I was using it successfully with large stripboards on another computer. However, using my R9 series AMD GPU, Fritzing was extremely slow and crashed when using stripboard. I belive this is a graphics driver related issue.

This is using Haswell CPUs (one mobile part, one desktop part) and different graphics architectures.

As an update, I think I may have found the issue.

Under Windows, Stripboard works fine using Intel graphics. I was using it successfully with large stripboards on another computer. However, using my R9 series AMD GPU, Fritzing was extremely slow and crashed when using stripboard. I belive this is a graphics driver related issue.

This is using Haswell CPUs (one mobile part, one desktop part) and different graphics architectures.