This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Custom Parts: changing image discards existing connectors

Quiche31 8 years, 6 months ago

Hi,

Changing an image on any of the 3 views (breadboard, schema, pcb) of a custom part discards any connector which had been previously positioned on that view, which pretty much invalidates connectors on all views.

In order to fix this usability bug, may I kindly suggest to not discard existing connectors, when the user reloads the image on a view?

After changing the schematic view

Thanks for a great product!

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 6 months ago

Hi Quiche31.  

That's a fair point; we'll add it to the issue tracker--the parts editor is due for an overhaul, so this is a good time to think about it.

Note that if the new image already has connector information in it, then connectors are not discarded.

- j

Quiche31 8 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for the tip. And how do you add connector information to an image?

Quiche31

Hi Quiche31,

I can think of two methods for adding connector information.  You could hand-edit the image SVG in an XML editor.  Or you could use an SVG editor that allows you to add properties to individual SVG elements (for example, Inkscape).  

If you're up for going this route, then I would first take a look at some of the SVG files in the Fritzing parts/svg/core folders as examples (search for the word "connector" in the SVG file), and you can get some general background by having a look at this part file description document: http://fritzing.org/support-us/developer/fritzing-part-format/.  

Hope that's of use.

- j

PS.  Another way to go is to find an image from the core that's near to what you want, and then modify it, since this will already have connectors in it.  You can also create an image with the right number of connectors by using either the mystery part or the generic IC part, and setting the number of pins.  You'd drag the part into a sketch, set the number of pins (and other params) from the Inspector window, then open it in the parts editor and save it as a new part.  The SVGs are saved in your user application directory (platform dependent) rather than with the Fritzing installation.