This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

creating an fzp file

Sulmaz 4 years, 12 months ago

Hi I am using the 0.8.7b version of Fritzing I have read all the tutorials for making the SVG files properly etc.. However I don't know how to create the fzp file from my SVG files also how should I compress the SVG's and the fzp into a fzpz file ?

Your help is greatly appreciated Thanks -Sulmaz

Clacker 4 years, 12 months ago

I use the parts editor on an existing part to import the SVG files into the 4 views.  You can get a run through of making fzp files from fritzing part format. The fzpz files are a zip archive of the 4 SVG files and your fzp file, with the file extension changed from ZIP to FZPZ.

The easiest wasy to see the format is to choose a part with a similar number of pins and open it in the new parts editor.  For each view, under the file menu choose "Load Image For View CTRL+O" and load your SVG for that view.  Then choose File->Save As New Part CTRL+SHIFT+S to save your part to the MINE parts bin.  Close the parts editor. Right click on the part in your MINE parts bin and choose "Export Part..." which will create a FZPZ file for you to look at.  You can open it with winzip or archive manager under linux.

If you can do the whole thing in the part editor that is really the easiest way.  Good luck with your new part!

Sulmaz 4 years, 11 months ago

Hi Clacker

Thank you for your quick response, it was very helpful and I was able to make a part in the new parts editor. However I have some parts that are drastically different from the parts available in fritzing and so there is really a necessity for me to make parts from scratch. I have been able to do this and am now encountering a set of new problems.

1. How can I make the connections in   the breadboard connect exactly where I want them to ?

2. I understand that in the PCB SVG's there are three layers silkscreen, copper0 and copper1 however when i export parts from fritzing and try to see the three layers in inkscape I can not ?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help

Sorry just to add, in the breadboard view my image is highlighted red, I understand this is because I have not assigned any pins, I can not for the life of me figure out how to assign pins ? it seems that assigning pins was simpler in the previous versions of fritzing.

I already tried adding the exact location for my connections in the xml file using the following method 

<connector type="pad" id="connector2" name="GND">
<description>GND</description>
<views>
<breadboardView>
<p svgId="connector2pin" layer="breadboard"/>
<rect id="breadboard" x = "297.69" y = "13.85"/>  //this line of code was written 

Thanks again and sorry for the long question 

-Sulmaz

Clacker 4 years, 11 months ago

The connections in the breadboard view need to be 0.100 inches apart in order to fit into the breadboard.

Sometimes the 'silkscreen' layer is white so you can't see it in Inkscape.  Open your file in Inkscape and then under the Edit Menu choose XML Editor.  You can expand the different groups there and hopefull see the layers you need.

The red highlighting indicates a problem, usually an unspecified connector.  In the new Parts Editor, go to the Connectors tab and make sure you have the right number of connectors set.  Then go to the breadboard view (if that's where your problem is) and make sure as you step through the pins they are connected to a graphic in the view, it should higlight a puplish bue.

I believe the format you are looking for in that section of the fzp file is:

<connector type="male" id="connector7" name="pin8">
   <description>pin 8</description>
   <views>
    <breadboardView>
     <p svgId="connector7pin" layer="breadboard" terminalId="connector7terminal"/>
    </breadboardView>
    <schematicView>
     <p svgId="connector7pin" layer="schematic" terminalId="connector7terminal"/>
    </schematicView>
    <pcbView>
     <p svgId="connector7pin" layer="copper0"/>
     <p svgId="connector7pin" layer="copper1"/>
    </pcbView>
   </views>  </connector>

The svgId should be the id of that element in your SVG files.  So perhaps you have a rect element in your breadboard SVG and it has id="connector7pin", it would get used for connector7 in the example above.

Thanks Clacker it worked !! 

I am just having an issue with the SVG's when I edit them in inkscape everything is great ! however when i import them into ink scape, the SVG has random black rectangle squares around it. 

Do you have any idea how I can fix this problem ?

Thanks 

Sulmaz

Clacker 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm not sure why the rectangle are appearing.  I know I've had issues when I forget to save as plain svg and not the Inkscape svg that Inkscape saves it's files as by default.  If that doesn't help, using the XML editor in Inkscape Edit->XML editor will let you see of there ate any elements where you see the black rectangles,