This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Fritzing goes away when losing focus!

dghpts 8 years, 6 months ago

Hi all!

I'm new to the group, and just found Fritzing 0.4.3.

I'm running it on a Mac with SNL 10.6.5 and every time the program loses focus it just goes away!!

As soon as I click on the application icon in the tray it comes right back, exactly as i left it, but it is both disturbing and a pain as I have the tutorials open in a window next to the program and every time I go over to Safari to slide the tutorial up or down I lose Fritzing!

Is there any way to stop this behavior?

Also just realized that the Fritzing "about" window that I opened to get the version for my previous message is STILL on the screen while I type this!

So it works properly, but the main program window and the inspectors go away!!

Jonathan Cohen 8 years, 6 months ago

Hi Dghpts,

I'll add the bug to the issue tracker.  There is a workaround (at least it worked for me).  Under the Window menu is a ViewSwitcher option.  Uncheck that option (i.e. hide the ViewSwitcher).  Alternatively, if you like the ViewSwitcher, drag and drop it into the dock area on the right-hand side.  

- j 

OK, just tried that, it made no difference, as I type this Fritzing is hiding!

What does the Viewswitcher do?

Hi Dghpts,

I just tried the workaround successfully on two different macs running 10.6.5, so please check again that the viewswitcher is really being hidden.   As to what the viewswitcher does, show it again and try clicking on it.

Cheers,

- j

OK I see the three buttons on the top left appear and disappear.

So Viewswitcher is working, still makes no difference.

I'll get past that for now.

Where are imported parts and parts that I make kept?

I just modified and saved a component using the "mystery part" but I can't find it on my drive to modify the SVG files.

Just noticed something interesting, if the part editing window has focus, Fritzing stays on screen when I switch to another program, like Safari that I am in right now typing this.

Also, any other dock widgets pulled out of the dock will cause the disappearing/focus problem.

- j

NOW YOU HIT IT!

I have the parts window and inspector pulled out.

I tried dropping them back on the main window, they won't redock.

Any ideas how to get them back docked?

I tried turning them on and off in the window menu while I had them over the main window. Doesn't work.

Found it!

Had to wander around the edge before the window would move over.

Cool!

Now should I post in another thread about finding my parts to modify the svgs?

Shrinking the dock windows and/or widening the dock area will also do the trick.

Yes, please start up another thread.

- j

Oops, missed your question about imported parts and modified mystery parts.  On a Mac, which I don't have in front of me to check, I think you'll find imported part svgs in /Users/<username>/.config/Fritzing/parts/svg/contrib.  Mystery part SVGs are (partly) generated, so what you have to do get the svgs is to open your modified mystery part in the parts editor (a right-click or Part menu option), then do a Save As from the parts editor.  The svgs will show up in /Users/<username>/.config/Fritzing/parts/svg/user.

If you are only wanting to change the label, number of pin, layout (single or double row), or row spacing, then no need to use the parts editor.

- j