This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Missing something obvious :-/

Thackery 3 years, 6 months ago

Hi,

Sorry, I should have written this in the Community forum, but unfortunately it's being spammed to death at the moment and it's wall-to-wall Chinese characters.

I'm looking at Fritzing for the first time and it looks great.  However, I don't understand something.  What is the breadboard view for?

As far as I can see it doesn't do any circuit simulation or anything, so you can't actually use it as a development tool.  So are you supposed to do your development on a real-world breadboard, and then simply use the Fritzing breadboard to "capture" what you've done on the real breadboard?

If so, it seems like there would be an opportunity there to greatly improve Fritzing by adding circuit simulation.

Also, I haven't understood why there is a specific Arduino feature.  After all, Fritzing won't simulate the Arduino, and the Arduino itself is a separate board in the real world.  So why would I want place one next to my Fritzing breadboard and wire them together?

I realise I'm missing something really obvious here, so please be gentle!  :-)

bootchk 3 years, 6 months ago

The three views (breadboard, schematic, and PCB) are all views of the same abstract object.  You can choose to initially draw in any view, whichever is most convenient for you.  Then you can switch to another view, where you will find that components you have added might not be laid out properly, so you proceed to lay out in that view. 

So yes, some people will actually create a real breadboard and they prefer to think about that first and when using Fritzing, start their work in that view.  Most people prefer to think about the schematic first.  But other people are just iterating over a very simple, same schematic, and are more concerned about a tight layout on the PCB, and might start their work in the PCB view.  So which view you start your work in depends on what concerns you most.  And you don't need to use all the views, although it usually helps to at least neaten up the schematic view (the most abstract view) as a check that what you have laid out in another view is connected properly.

Simulation, and why it is not integrated in Fritzing, are different topics.  Short answer: only some users want to simulate, and there aren't enough programmer/resources developing new features in Fritzing.

Thackery 3 years, 6 months ago

Perfect explanation!  Thank you, bootchk.