This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Is Fritzing still an active software project?

WireMan 4 years, 2 months ago

Such a nice project. Fritzing Website Contains Links to other Websites which are no longer maintained. Some pages on this site are also no longer maintained. Who are Friends-of-Fritzing? What are they doing to maintain this site and the software?

Neil Kolban 3 years, 11 months ago

Neil Kolban

Ouch!!  2 months and no response to this post?

jackMiser 3 years, 9 months ago

Yea, I think this project needs a forking..... It's not progressing like it should. It's VERY VERY unprofessional that no one has responded from the project to this question...

Seems we need to team-up with the other forkers, GITHUB shows quite a few forks(I don't wonder why..) This project seems setup on the beckend to benifit the fabericate button folks.... Just like the hidden panelizer code used for production but not easily available for use by the average joe. Yea it's in there... I've seen it!

So I'd say this project is half-ass alive and not maintained by the right folks. YES, I'm calling them out!!! Just look at the crap forum we have to use.... Unacceptable.

Fabian Althaus 3 years, 9 months ago

hello, fritzing is an active project but need the community to help each other, so the teamup is a really good idea!!! i do as much as i can to get things done for fritzing. but there is this forum, github, support-tickets, part-creations and many more stuff to do. 

i am really sorry for all the bitterness about our maintance. i know that you ask for the panelizer documentation on github. this is the next thing i want to explain. 

anyway, it would be nice to have you and all the others to help each other and bring fritzing more forward. so again, sorry for all the delays everywhere!!!  respectfully f

trying to get ahold of you guys for weeks no one responds with the contact us website feature. So what is the status of this project. Ive got a few things I want to set up for this project. 2week responce times will not be working for us.

I need access, why? Because we need a ticket tracking systm inplace. No acceptions. We need a website update. We need new forums. Why? Because this shit sucks. Not up to my standards. Period. Someone needs to get back to me email wise so we can get the ball rolling. More folks need to  be involved in the project if you wanted to move forward.  how can other people be involved in the project if you don't even respond to them?

André Knörig 3 years, 9 months ago

André Knörig

Hi Jack, you're absolutely right of course! The website is in a state of digital decay and we don't have the resources (nor would it be feasible) to fix it. It probably makes more sense to build something new.

Let's start with forum and documentation, since this is the basis for collaboration. The project gallery can come later.

I'm really fond of how particle.io has set things up and since they're doing everything open-source, it's relatively easy to follow their model:

• Discourse for forum
  • Metalsmith and github for documentation
  • Github for issue tracking (we did that last year, but tickets need to be consolidated)
  • possibly hackster.io as project sharing platform

But let's start with the first two. Who would be willing to help and how?

André,

I should be able to get a few things cracking. I'll looking into some of what you suggested. But can't guarantee what I'll put together. BUT, it has to be better then the current situation. I like more of a general discussion board. In-which I feel phpBB is a great alternative for the forum options. And more of a professional look... I can also host what ever is necessary.

I bring quite a professional presence. Have plenty of references for website builds and hosting. So this will be a lick...

I'd like to look into user migration so we can keep the same base. No more SPAM!!! I'm also looking to put a group of folks together that can manage front end CMS BS that all these common front-end platforms offer. I'll just get things situated. I also know a few folks that would come to the table if need be. So we could really turn this around into something great. That and it would be more attractive to senior dev's that might help the progression of the Fritzing code base. This way we can move into proper versioning. The depth of this software could be extended to meet serious professional demands. A fully functional EDA with all the bells and whistles, the list goes on...

So then, I'll just go ahead and assume some roles here and setup this stuff up. If you like it then we can go live. If not, no hard feelings but I will immediately hard fork the project and go live with what I've done. So 2 options really. and thats where we are at. Exciting times ahead.

I need your contact information. You should get @ me ASAP thanks!!!!

Neil Kolban 3 years, 9 months ago

Neil Kolban

I am willing to donate time and skills to the project.  I suggest we need someone to act as the owner/planner of all activities ... that would probably be you.  Then we determine what needs done and then we find volunteers to work on it.

We also need to see if Fritzing has a future.... how many downloads are still happening?  Is there now something better?  Who has the skills to maintain/fix the code? etc etc

Neil,

Hello good sir! Everything needs done right now, to move this project in the proper direction. What direction is your skill set? Do you activily run a Linux Distro of any sort?

As for the code, it's written in QT which is pretty damn popular. So it's just a matter of getting familiar with QT and the code. Anyone with some experience can download the source and dove in. In-fact I prefer compiling my own version for use. Been using my own version for months now. So yes, a fresh start is in-order.

I'm thinking we need a better collaboration method. Re-organizing this on 'the old style forum' is not a great place to start. So I'm going to tread lightly here, and work actively on moving this to a better base.

I need quicker response times from the leaders...... I don't care if you're sleeping or working... Make it work! Why??? Because I can, and I assure you, I am more then busy... I know this is a big project, but it's not on life support, so it moves forth!

As for downloads, that could be hard to quantify considering many Linux distributions have a version in there packaging system available for install with a yum or apt-get. So if a package is in a repo, we work to ensure it stays there. Its great software to encourage youth/young players to learn electronics. There is NO right or wrong way! Just participate!! I vote to keep project active.

Honestly Andre I need admin, Mr! We need to talk...... Contact info, get @me VIA email??

I should have said Fritzing is written in C++ , QT is more of an IDE cross-platform tool :) AN example of why things are lacking, there is no edit button on the forum. MY BAD, hasty fingers make for bad wording..

Neil Kolban 3 years, 9 months ago

Neil Kolban

Howdy Jack,

I'm a 48 year old professional programmer with skills in C, C++ and Java.   I worked in Unix throughout the 90s and although not current, I should remember enough.  I can use a Linux on a VMWare image if necessary though I'd prefer to work in Windows.  I don't have any QT skills but am willing to learn as needed.  I have run a few web sites and if were tasked to "install a new forum package" or similar tasks, would be up for it.  I don't want to be a leader or a gating participant on this project ... but would be willing to offer up a few hours a week if needed.

André Knörig

Hi guys, your enthusiasm is great! I'm sorry not to be as responsive, but as a young father with a full-time job it ain't easy. ;)

I agree that the first step should be to enable collaboration, and this would first be through a forum. With that, we could organize a roadmap, task, etc. 

@jack, I'll contact you for server access via mail. Have you had a look at Discourse? I really like it's modern way of going about things, as opposed to the rather old-fashioned phpBB. :)

André Knörig

Oh, concerning statistics - we are counting about 2000 downloads per day through our site alone. So I guess popularity is not the issue. :)