Gerber-Export failed: Unable to svg curves in ...

local_dani_21 3 years, 3 months ago

Dear Fritzing team

I just finished my layout and wanted to export it as gerber files. Unfortunately, I got an error during the export. Please help me - where can I find more information on what went wrong. I got the following error message:

Error message during export

And the export gave me the following files:

Directory with files

Thank you for your help,

Dani

It seem, as if the contour.gm1 isn't correctly translated.

This is the contour-layer:

Contour

The silkscreen-layer looks strange too:

Silktop

The silkscreen-layer seems to look ok within fritzing:

Fritzing silktop

Dani

Jonathan Cohen 3 years, 3 months ago

You have a complex custom board shape and fritzing is having a hard time working out the contour.  Email your sketch (save as shareable) to the usual place and I'll take a look.

- j

Hi Jonathan

Cool and thank you! I'll do it right now!

Dani

Hi Dani,

I am not absolutely certain of it yet, but this might be a bug in Fritzing dealing with polyline elements.  If you want to try something--that is not guaranteed to work--you could edit the board shape svg and replace each <polyline> element with a set of <line> elements.

- j

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for looking into it. Do you think the trouble with the silkscreenlayer is caused by the same error?

Are there any alternatives to the suggested procedure like hoping that you get an idea that is working for sure or waiting for an update of fritzing? :)

Dani

The silkscreen problem is different.  There is a large rectangle in the silkscreen layer of the pcb svg of the 128_x_64_graphic_lcd part.  If you replace that <rect> with 4 <line> elements or comment it out, it will fix the silkscreen gerber output.  

The contour problem is a bug with polylines and the only workaround is what I suggested previously.  

Both these will be fixed in the next release, but it is not clear when that will be shipped.

- j

Good Evening Jonathan

Is there any chance that I could get something like a nightly build of fritzing when the contour problem has been solved? 

And do you have any idea about the dimension when the next stable release will be shipped. Is it a question of weeks or rather months or completely open?

If the chances for a soon update are too slim, I'll try the polyline-->line-thingy you mentioned.

Thank you for your help,

Dani

Heinervdm 3 years, 3 months ago

Hi Dani,

if you are using linux you can get inofficial nightly builds from here: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=fritzing&project=home%3AHeinervdm

Just tell me what distribution you are using and i will add it.

Regards,

Thomas

Jonathan

I found something strange ... When I replace the rect(...) in the file «128_x_64_Graphic_LCD.svg»-PCB-File of the GLCD - the rect that results in the filled rect in the silkscreenlayer - with the rect(...) from the file «VPACK_PCB_pcb.svg»-PCB-File of my DC-DC-Converter (where the rect is written correctly into the silkscreenlayer), the very same rect - now in the file of the GLCD - is printed filled in the silkscreen-layer!

So I think the problem must lie somewhere between the interpretation of the VPACK-SVG and the GLCD-SVG with the result that the rect is drawn correctly while going throu the VPACK-SVG but wrongly (filled) while going throu the GLCD-SVG.

Is this a hint that might help?

Dani

The drawing of the two rects can be seen in the shot:

Rects

Hi Thomas

Thank you for your link! Unfortunately, my Debian is only a server and without a graphical environment. But I'll think about it ... I have this laptop laying around :)

Dani

I have fixed most of the contour problem and the silkscreen problem, and that code has been checked in.   We don't do nightly builds here in Fritzing-land--progress here is a bit too random. Building fritzing yourself is not out of the question, if you're up for that.

- j

Cool, Jonathan!

Of course I would like to use your enhanced code :) Is there some sort of manual for building fritzing on OS X 10.6?

Thanks, Dani

These instructions are pretty good.  They are a little out of date in that they don't emphasize that QtCreator is the easiest IDE to use, and it is automatically installed with most Qt installations (this will make more sense once you've read the instructions).

Good luck.

- j

Jonathan

Thank you for the link! Before I get to build my own fritzing I wonder: Does your expression «I have fixed most of the contour problem» mean that with the changes you made, I could export my project and get it produced by fritzing fab?

Thanks, Dani

Yes, Fritzing Fab will handle the export, but there is one thing I have to check.  When I look at the contour in a gerber viewer, in the area that you have cut-out for the battery at the base of the board, I see the cut out, but there is a connecting line drawn across the bottom--in other words, instead of seeing 3 lines of an open rectangle, I'm seeing 4 in a closed rectangle.  The question is whether the fabricator will cut the area out as you want it.  

- j 

Ok, I'll wait for your result of your checkling. If there is something I could check/ask/do, please let me know. In the meantime I'll try to build fritzing from source.

Dani

Good evening fritzing team

I just noticed that the «Copper fill» routine is irritated by my (flipper.fzz) unusual board-shape. It fills the whole space that will be cut out for the batteries with copper. Is that something that has been resolved in your 0.6.3+ fritzing version as well?

Thank you and good night, Dani

Please login to post a reply.