This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Help, my traces keep dissappearing! PLEASE READ

RemsX 2 years, 10 months ago

What started as a fun little side project to showcase my electronics knowledge has turned into an utter nightmare.  I have spent dozens of sessions in the board design view fixing things that the application has either forgotten to include in the save information, or screwed up after autorouting, or any number of ways this has gone wrong. 

Apparently, I can't quit the application until I finish my board design.. each time I re-open the file and application after quitting, I discover that approx. 15% of my traces have either dissappeared or been degraded in some way.  By that I mean that the application seems to be aware of the fact that there once was a trace in various locations when I hover with my mouse, but if I attempt to repair it, it begins to sporadically re-route the trace to the next closest connection, not the one I was previously using. 

After spending days laying out the schematic, it would have been fantastic if the auto-router (the sole reason I even bothered designing it in fritzing) would have worked, but it didn't.  It failed miserably, and I'm not sure why, it's certainly possible to make all the connections given the criteria I gave it.  But alas, it sucked.  Unfortunately having invested this much time in the project already, I'm determined finish, but since I cannot find a way to export to eagle anymore I'm stuck using the horrible user interface that I'm given to work with.   Now I admit I'm a bit spoiled as I'm used to working with Illustrator or Solidworks, but this isn't even in the ballpark.

Never the less, I've been incredibly patient with it, and have made a great deal of progress, but now upon opening my file I see that much of my progress has gone missing.  Now I would try to just keep the application open eternally or until my project completes, but after about half an hour my mac just starts freezing up horrifically.  I can't even move my mouse and get proper framerate, so I see the curser jerking all over as I unintentionally overcompensate with all the lag.  It's not rocket science to figure out that the culprit is fritzing since it's virtually the only app open and this never otherwise happens.

So I'm in a bind, I have to refresh the app every thirty minutes or so, but when I do that my traces go missing!  So please help me export my board so I can just finish this project!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1R4_6IKPCLRTUN5eEc2S21IUVU/view?usp=sharing

thf772 2 years, 10 months ago

I have a similar problem:

Every time I load my project in Fritzing, almost every articulation point in the PCB tracks gets broken. By "broken", I mean that the two or more tracks using this point as an anchor get disconnected from one another. That means I have to reroute all the nets of my project every time I wish to work on it.

This problem also happens in the Schematic and Breadboard views.

Solving this bug would be a great improvement.

fmascarich 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm getting the same issue. 

For me it seems as though the traces are there, but invisible. 

fmascarich 2 years, 9 months ago

screenshot:

http://imgur.com/EnmMHAH

Fabian Althaus 2 years, 9 months ago

hello, 

this is one of the biggest and complicatest bug we have in fritzing. if you have this behavior:

DO NOT SAVE YOUR SKETCH!

-> close all fritzing instances

-> reopen fritzing

-> open a sketch, if it is ok, you can work on if not try all these steps again.

sometimes it will take like 2 or 3 times till the bug is gone. 

sadly, this bug is hard, but so random, that we cannot find the reason for it... sorry for any inconvenience.

Bill French 2 years, 9 months ago

Does this bug not exist in an older version?  I have lost several designs now.  It is very discouraging.  I would be happy to use an older version until this is sorted if it did not have this bug.