This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Fritzing 0.6.4b for Mac 10.5 will not run on MacBook running 10.6.8.

Taper 6 years, 11 months ago

Attempting to upgrade Fritzing today.  I downloaded the file fritzing.2011.12.16.cocoa.dmg from the webpage link, opened it up, and put the Fritzing folder into /Applications .  When I looked inside the folder, the Fritzing.app icon has a circle and diagonal line across it; when I tried to run the application, I got only the error message: "You can't open the application Fritzing.app because it is not supported on this type of Mac."  It won't even try to start.

I've downloaded the package again several times, including from different browsers, from the command line, and from a different computer (and then copied here via the local network).  All of these attempts got the same results -- crossed out icon, and "not supported" error.

Now, this kind of error from OS X would usually mean that you're trying to run an application compiled for Intel processors on the older PowerPC-based G4 or G5 Macs.  But this MacBook has an Intel Core Duo processor and the application claims to be for Intel.  As a wild guess, could the application have been inadvertantly compiled for only the 64-bit Core 2 Duo processors?  I don't know if that would produce this behavior.

Jonathan Cohen 6 years, 11 months ago

Hi Taper,

Your guess is correct, Fritzing 0.6.4 was built only with a 64-bit binary and some set of Intel processors requires 32-bit.  We will shortly release an 0.6.5 version including both 32- and 64- bit builds.

- j 

Donat 6 years, 10 months ago

Just came here to say the same thing, but you seem to have everything under control!

So thanks for keeping our older computers in mind :)

Frank Wynhamer 5 years, 6 months ago

I have the same problem with version 0.7.12B wanting to install on Mac OS X 10.8.3.

Mac Book Pro reports the following: "Fritzing" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

What can I do to get version 0.7.12B installed on my Mac book pro?

Stefan Hermann 5 years, 6 months ago

Stefan Hermann

Hi Frank,

you can just make a right click on the program symbol and select »open«. The application which tries to do a good job for you by don't let you open unknown apps is called gate keeper.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/27/app-cant-be-opened-because-it-is-from-an-unidentified-developer/

Best,

Stefan"

Stefan Hermann 5 years, 6 months ago

Stefan Hermann

PS: You only have to do the right click trick the first time.