5050 SMD LED component?

Jerware 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm new to Fritzing and get the general idea of how to use generic IC chips but I need this particular LED component and I don't know where to begin. Can anyone offer some help or better yet a component file? Thanks!

captomner 1 year, 11 months ago

+1. I tried to make one but I'm pretty new to Fritzing.

ZK 1 year, 11 months ago

Would it really matter?  I would just use the generic LED and then in your part properties put the actual part number for the LED.  I personally only use Fritzing for a graphical representation of my circuit.  If I actually make a board I use TinyCAD or possibly EagleCAD.

Of course if you really want to use Fritzing to make a board you will have to learn to use the schematic and pcb tools and how to create custom parts. 

You can look here if you want to give you some idea how to create your own custom parts:

http://fritzing.org/learning/tutorials/

or

http://fritzing.org/learning/tutorials/creating-custom-parts/

André Knörig 1 year, 11 months ago

André Knörig

Can you guys point us to a datasheet? Then we'll put it on the to-do list.

Thanks,
André

André

This one is for a 5050 with 3 white elements:

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/232116/ETC2/T5050.html

And this one is for an RGB:

http://www.betlux.com/product/SMD_LED/BL-LS5050A0S3.PDF

Thanks!

ZK,

Maybe I wasn't clear in my initial post, but I'm using Fritzing for making boards, not just schematics. I tried using the parts editor to create the part but I wasn't successful in getting it working right. Thanks for the links though; I'm looking forward to the new parts editor coming out.

Thanks,

Tom

bootchk 1 year, 11 months ago

I posted a new tutorial Making a new SMD package for a generic IC in Fritzing

It might help, if you are satisfied with a generic IC in the package of your part, which seems to be PLCC-6 ?

I looked in Fritizing for that package, but could not find it.  I am surprised I could not find any PLCC packages (but maybe I didn't look hard enough.)  If you could find a PLCC-8 (two rows of four pins), you could buy a socket and put your part at one end of it.  PLCC has springy pins that curl under the chip.   They snap into sockets or can be soldered.

There might exist a PLCC to DIP adaptor of say 16 pins.  Then you could get by with that.

I doubt whether a new part editor will relieve you of the chore of drawing the SMD footprint in the PCB image SVG file?  It will just automate editing the metadata file, which is easy enough?

Jonathan Cohen 1 year, 11 months ago

Hi Bootchk,

Wow--very nice totorial.

Cheers,

- j

Except it is a draft.  I can't get it to work.  I thought because I had gotten a Mystery Part with 3 pins to work, I knew enough to write about Generic IC.  There's something I don't understand yet.

I fixed the tutorial.  It now builds a part having an abstract, shared, generic IC image in the breadboard instead of a unique image of an adaptor.  Quick and dirty solution for most users.  Probably not adequate for parts to be distributed with Fritzing.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, Bootchk. I haven't had the time delve in and re-try my part, but it gives me something to work with until they get the 5050 released officially. Thanks!

captomner 1 year, 7 months ago

I saw that the 5050 was added to the official list of parts, however, I can't find it anywhere. Is there any reason I woulnd't be able to see new parts after updating to a new version of Fritzing? I downloaded the new release as of last week.

I can't find the 5050 by searching for "5050", by manually changing an LED (only offers 3 mm, 5mm, or 0603, 0805, or 1206), or anywhere else that I looked.

Thanks for any help!

Jonathan Cohen 1 year, 7 months ago

Hi Captomer,

As far as I know, the 5050 was only added to the wish list--it has not been added to Fritzing.

- j

That would make sense, then. I thought it was done because it was under the "Done" column on the parts page.

Thanks!

If anyone else has been waiting for the 5050, you should know that I'm nearing completion on my user-submitted version of it. I finally delved into the world of SVG editing and found that it's not actually that hard. I found it easiest to simply modify the SVG from the 1206 LED by editing the text file. That made it easy to ensure that the measurements were spot-on.

I only need to make a breadboard image and it should be good to go. If anyone has a good breadboard image for the 5050 or wants to volunteer to make one, that might speed up the process!

T

Please login to post a reply.