Is it an efficient way to create new parts?

rrobinet 2 years, 9 months ago

I am trying to add a new part "the Arduino XBEE Libelium Shield". Unfortunately after 2 days of hard work I have to admit that this is too complex (at least for me).

Making the SVG drawing it the easy part, but adding connectors is really a pain in the ass!

Adding +/- 50 connectors on 3 diagrams with the GUI is actually a nightmare, and most of the time my system (MAC OS) is hanging (100% CPU an huge schematic.svg  files are generated) while saving the part after adding few connectors (6 is enough to have to wait 1à minutes or to kill the fritsing process).

Looking at the complexity of some other parts such as the sparkfun xbee shield, I suppose that there is another way to create complex parts rather than guise the GUI, I can't imaging people spending ages to configures new parts.

If there is no relatively efficient other way to add new parts, I will have to consider Fritzing as useless.

Expecting your feedback 

NB: My SVG file are avialble if necessary

Thanks

Robert 

Jonathan Cohen 2 years, 9 months ago

Hi Robert,

In general, the most efficient way to create Fritzing parts involves scripting and/or working with svg and fzp files in an xml editor. Check here for a more thorough explanation of the part format, and there's a nice tutorial from Bertrand LeRoy.

That being said, since this is a standard Arduino part, we will plan to make the part ourselves and add it to the next release. Your svg files could come in handy, so if you like, please email them to info .at. fritzing .dot. org.

HTH,

- j

rrobinet 2 years, 9 months ago

Jonathan,

Thanks, I will try that.

NB: I will e-mail you the files.

Robert

Please login to post a reply.