This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

Can't move connection to other side of PCB?

Klaus Busse 6 years, 6 months ago

Klaus Busse

Sometimes I can't move a connection to the other side of the PCB - the entry in the context menu is disabled. Any ideas why?

Jonathan Cohen 6 years, 6 months ago

Hi Klaus,

Sounds like a bug. Could you email your sketch file to info .at. fritzing .dot. org and we'll take a look?

Thanks.

- j

<p>&nbsp;</p>

Klaus Busse

Done that, thanks.

Jonathan Cohen 6 years, 6 months ago

Hi Klaus,

It was another problem with the same part.  There's another file to replace; you can download it from: http://fritzing.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/fritzing/parts/core/Optocoupler_TLP621.fzp.  The replacement location is [fritzing installation folder]/parts/core/.

Cheers,

- j

Klaus Busse

Yep, confirm that it's fixed now. :-)

Thanks a lot!

Klaus

ryFritzMan 5 years, 6 months ago

I am having this issue today.  I have 3 board on my PCB view and I can not move a connection/wire route to the other side of the board it is greyed out.  If I add a via, I still cannot move to the bottom side and I have both side active and parts/board unlocked.

If I left the auto-router do it thing, it will route connection on the bottom side and will let me move those to the top and back to bottom, but still will not let me move my other connections from top to bottom. 

Is there any way to force the move?  Why would it ever be greyed out?  

I also vote for allow parts (even just SMDs) to the bottom of a 2-sided routed pcb.

Thanks

-=Ryan

ryFritzMan 5 years, 6 months ago

Also, I have parts in the PCB view that I cannot bring the top using ctrl-].  This send to back and bring to front does not seem to work.

-=Ryan

Johannes Roth 5 years, 6 months ago

Happened to me too. The entry was greyed out. But the same thing can be done via the "Routing" menu which wasn't greyed out and worked for me.

However, right now, every entry in the "Routing"-Menu is greyed out :D

Jonathan Cohen 5 years, 6 months ago

@Ryan:

Thanks for sending the example file--this is a big help clarifying the issues.

SMDs for core parts can be placed on either side. At the moment there is a bug which only permits custom SMD parts on the top (this will be fixed in the next release).

You cannot change the layer of a trace that is connected to an SMD, since if you change the layer, there is nothing to connect to on the other side. If trace goes from an SMD to a through-hole part, then you can add a via, and change the trace layer from the via to the through-hole. If you have two SMDs connected, then you would add two vias and you can change the layer of the trace that connects the two vias.

In the example file, I can see that you added vias, but they were not actually connected to the trace, they were just sitting beneath the trace. You must break the original trace, and redraw it from the first part to the via, then from the via to the second part. More easily, you can put a bendpoint in the trace, then then right-click on the bendpoint and choose 'convert to via' from the popup.

Probably "send to back/bring to front" is working, but this is not absolute. What it means is "send to back/bring to front" per layer. So for example, the "board" layer is always beneath the copper layers, traces are always above connectors, etc. So you can only affect the z-order of a trace relative to the other traces; you cannot, for example bring a board above traces. 

Fritzing has a general UI problem of selecting things that are underneath other things, and unfortunately, the solutions we have come up with are difficult to implement. That being said, you can often manage to get around this by using the active layer button at the bottom of the window (which toggles between top, bottom and both), and by bringing up the Layers window (under the Window menu), and hiding/showing individual layers.

Hope that helps.

@Johannes:

I have been trying to track down this "routing-menu all greyed out bug". Any additional info you have would be helpful: what platform, how you re-enabled it; whether it happened when you first started up or later; etc.

Thanks.

- j

Johannes Roth 5 years, 6 months ago

@Jonathan:

I'm using Mac OS X 10.7.5 with Fritzing 0.7.11. I re-enabled it by simply restarting Fritzing ("Have you tried turning it off and on again?"). It happened right after I started Fritzing (but I've used it before), Fritzing loaded my last opened project, i opened the pcb-view by pressing cmd+3, selected a trace and opened (so much opening going on here) the routing-menu.

Clemens 5 years, 6 months ago

I placed a SMD 603 resistor on cooper0 and have there no "contact pads", no "magnetic" area to put wire on. It is working on cooper1 but not on cooper0! Any idea?

Hi Clemens,

First guess: you might not have the bottom layer active, so the copper0 layer is effectively "greyed out". Use the active layer toggle at the bottom of the window.  

If that's not the problem then:

the following works for me in 0.7.12 (Window 7):

1. go to pcb view

2. set bottom layer active

3. drag a resistor from the Parts Bin to the sketch

4. change the package to SMD 603

Connections work fine.

The following also works:

1. go to breadboard view

2. drag a resistor from the Parts Bin to the sketch

3. change the package to SMD 603

4. go to pcb view

How does your procedure/platform/version differ?

- j

Vincent Voois 5 years, 6 months ago

"SMDs for core parts can be placed on either side. At the moment there is a bug which only permits custom SMD parts on the top (this will be fixed in the next release)."
Is there going to be a possibility where all selected SMD parts and their connected traces can be swapped from layer or am i doing something wrong if i can't get this done?

Hi Vincent.

I will add this suggestion to the issue tracker.  I wonder whether your best shot for now would be to hack the sketch file xml.

- j

Vincent Voois 5 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for the suggestion Johnathan, but unfortunately no, all SMC components remain on the copper1 and copper1trace layer.

I altered the .fz xml file and changed all copper1 references to copper0 and rezipped everything back into the fzz archive.

It loads fine, but still having all SMC 's on the bottom layer.
I suspect i changed to the correct layer else i would have expected all the top layer traces and components to be placed to the bottom layer.

Hi Vincent,

I got a little confused by the last paragraph of the last post, but it sounds like you are trying to move everything from the top layer to the bottom layer, and that hacking the xml didn't work. 

I think it actually may have worked, it just didn't look like it. Under the view menu try hiding the copper bottom layer and see what disappears.

You can fix a couple of things in the fz file to make the appearance better:

-- change the z value of the moved smd parts from 8.something to 5.something and of traces from 9.something to 6.something.  In the fz file look for things like:

<pcbView layer="copper0">

<geometry z="8.50008" x="203.625" y="113.13"/>

-- change the color of the traces you want to move from #ffcb33 to #f28a00

Admittedly tedious, but even the gerber export looks correct.

Cheers,

- j

nilton 5 years, 4 months ago

I have created a tht component, with 2 common layers "copper1" and "copper0"

i cannot move a connection from one side to the other, the menu item i greyd out in the context meny. In the routing menu "move to other side of the board" is active but has no effect. Since the autorouter does not produce the result i want this is very annoying.

regards

/StN

Jonathan Cohen 5 years, 4 months ago

Hi /StN,

Is the problem general, or does it only happen with traces connected to your custom part?

The greying out of the item in the context menu may be a bug, but it will also be greyed out if the trace in question is connected to an SMD.

If neither of these suggestions helps you can send your .fzz file to info .at. fritzing .dot. org.

- j

nilton 5 years, 4 months ago

Actually it varies as i see it. I can move some traces to the other side and some i dont. I do not use SMD in this design, only THT (so far..)

Regards

/StN