This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

How do I position components on the PCB at exact locations

shoecart 7 years, 5 months ago

For example, I have two pads that must be exactly 1.75 inches apart.  Is there any way to specify coordinates for each hole so they line up exactly?

Jonathan Cohen 7 years, 5 months ago

Hi Shoecart,

Currently there is no way to simply type in coordinates (this is on our to-do list). But there are a number of tricks that will get you very close. For example, turn on "Align to Grid" in the view menu. You might also change the grid settings (in the Preferences Dialog). You could also drag out a Ruler part (near the bottom of the Core Parts Bin) and use that for alignment. Lastly, if you like getting your hands on the data itself, you could unzip the the fzz file for your sketch (just change the suffix to .zip), and open up the .fz file inside in a text editor. Locate the parts in the file and change the coordinates.

HTH,

- j

mxmx2000 6 years, 6 months ago

hello ... is this still on the to-do-list? pretty please...would make things even better.

thanks!

Jonathan Cohen 6 years, 6 months ago

Same as before, except that you can zoom further, and mouse coordinates are displayed in the status bar (click on the coordinates to change the units).

But the request is noted and we'll try to bump the priority.

- j

Bogdan 5 years, 9 months ago

I know it's been a long time since this thread was opened, and that the situation is better now. However, there is still ample room for improvement. For instance, when precisely positioning holes for screws on the PCB, the desired behavior is typically to specify the distance between two perpendicular edges of the PCB and the center of the hole. Right now, one needs to do a lot of empirical hocus pocus to achieve that, since the only types of coordinates that can be entered are the top left corner of the hole entity, which is significantly larger than the hole (circle) itself.

Try positioning four (this is important -- one in each corner, not just one in the top left corner!) 3mm holes with their centers at 5mm from each side of a PCB (i.e. near the corners), which is a reasonably common situation, and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Jonathan Cohen 5 years, 9 months ago

Ok, noted. One recent proposal was adding control over the reference point, so for example, instead of being at the top-left, you could place it at the center or some other offset. Would that take care of the problem?

• j

oldbrad 4 years, 7 months ago

I know this is an old thread, but is there any progress on positioning the PCB accurately?

A simple solution would be a mechanism to snap to grid the top left corner of the board. For that matter the ablity to snap the other corners would be realy usefull.

I'm drilling boards manualy, but accurately, on a jig borer and its a complete pain correcting drill table data for the fudged board  position.

Otherwise great tool :-) TIA 

lissacoffey 4 years, 7 months ago

You could also drag out a Ruler part (near the bottom of the Core Parts Bin) and use that for alignment. Lastly, if you like getting your hands on the data itself, you could unzip the the fzz file for your sketch (just change the suffix to .zip), and open up the .fz file inside in a text editor. Locate the parts in the file and change the coordinates.For instance, when precisely positioning holes for screws on the PCB, the desired behavior is typically to specify the distance between two perpendicular edges of the PCB and the center of the hole. Right now, one needs to do a lot of empirical hocus pocus to achieve that, since the only types of coordinates that can be entered are the top left corner of the hole entity, which is significantly larger than the hole (circle) itself.