This forum is archived, go to the new forum!

This is the old fritzing discussion forum. Search it for valuable information from 2009 to 2015.

"Top down" view for components in breadboard mode

commathe 6 years, 4 months ago

First I'd like to say that Fritzing is awesome! I love the ability to create consolidated DIY projects with scematics, perf, breadboard and pcb! I'm addicted.

However, while the isometric view of things like capacitors is really pretty, it would be nice to be able to switch parts to a "top down" view. On a perfboard and electrolytic capacitor typically takes up 3x2 to 2x2 on the board. On fritzing however it takes up a whopping 6x2 on the standard grid just because the view is from the side. This makes designing really closely packed perfboard layouts basically impossible. It would be a great idea to be able to switch between the standard view and a more compact top-down view. This also goes for the transistors too.

At the moment I'm still having to depend on other software to do my perfboard layouts because of this and I'd love to be doing everything from within Fritzing.

Overall though, Fritzing rules! Keep up the awesome work!

Jonathan Cohen 6 years, 4 months ago

Hi Commathe,

Thanks for the kind words; we are very glad to hear such positive feedback.

The top-down view would be a nice feature. It's on our to-do list, but implementation is not scheduled. If there is a big demand for it, we will bump up the priority.

Cheers,

- j

roughsponge 6 years, 3 months ago

I agree with commathe and mehedyamin, The first small project I wanted to design using Fritzing was marred by this mixture of 2D and 3D parts so I gave up and made it anyway. A bin full of 2D only parts would be useful.

Thanks for the fantasic work though, you just can't please some people........

hahvahdsquah 6 years, 3 months ago

I agree with this comment - was just about to start my own thread but found this first. I literally just downloaded Fritzing yesterday, and it's awesome but I immediately ran into a problem because I'm trying to do an Arduino project with a 1/2-size breadboard that uses three FETs and four rotary potentiometers...which fit fine on the breadboard in real life, but are ENORMOUS in Fritzing's breadboard view.

masterkrafter 5 years, 11 months ago

absolutly. this would make this software so much more useable.

TheDuke 5 years, 11 months ago

Indeed, just registered so that I could add that this would be very important to me too. Even allowing the schematic/pcb view of components in breadboard mode would help in the meantime.

Love the software and thanks to everyone who has put time/money sweat/blood into it, this feature would increase the value of the software significantly and would persuade me to donate more.

Jonathan Cohen 5 years, 11 months ago

Comments are noted, thanks. But I have to respond to TheDuke's "this feature ... would persuade me to donate more". If you really want the feature, consider donating for it now--that is a great way to get people's attention.

• j

nekomatic 5 years, 9 months ago

As a user of the breadboard view for stripboard layouts, I would also really like to see the top-down view implemented - and I have just made a donation 8)

(Also the ability to create 100 - 300 mil resistors in the breadboard view, maybe this could be done by adding a separate 'stand-up resistor (100 mil)' part and using the bendable leg feature? But I'll post that in a separate topic.)

Jonasforssell 5 years, 8 months ago

I second the top down view of components with the capacitors and resistors in particular. 100-300 mil configurable.

To support this development I have made my first ever donation for a program. Thanks for your great software!

richardvk 4 years, 11 months ago

Would just like to find out if this feature is still being considered? I have just started using Friting and love it, but as commathe stated, i am unfortunately still dependent on other software for perfboard layouts because the 3d components are all overlaying one another on a compact design.

Thanks!

Hanna Kirsche 4 years, 11 months ago

absolutly! it is sooooo useable.

lissacoffey 4 years, 9 months ago

Love the software and thanks to everyone who has put time/money sweat/blood into it, this feature would increase the value of the software significantly and would persuade me to donate more.